Jillus

Tax question

I agree, the tax office people are generally very helpful. If you earned less than your annual personal allowance, you will probably be able to get the tax back. It will be worth having your final payslip and/or P60 to hand when you phone as well as your NI number. Don't forget the tax year ends in early April, not the end of December.

You will not be able to do anything until after the 5th April as there is still a chance that you could have some income in this tax year (assuming that the work you did was after 6th April 09).

After that you can write to your tax office and give then the figures i.e your gross pay, the tax paid and they will also need your NI number, tax code -they will have this but it helps if you can provide it as well, PAYE ref from your P45 / P60, whichever the employer gave you, and unique tax reference number if you know this. Also send a copy of the P45 / P60. They should be able to process a refund from this information although they may ask you to complete a self assesment return as I had to but mine was slightly more complicated as I was claiming tax back on a voluntery severence payment as well as wages.

If you pay tax on any savings and do not earn up to your tax threshold you will also be able to claim this back so include details in the letter.

Hope this helps from a now happily at home ex civil servant of nearly 25 years but previously a very stressed manager in HMRC!!!