Emz24 Posted January 22, 2010 Share Posted January 22, 2010 HI Guys, Just wondering what you do with your chickies when it is raining... I have let them out in the rain a couple of times, and they come back in absolutely soaking and looking like a pair of drowned rats??? Is this the completely wrong thing to do or is this ok???? Emz24 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Raina Posted January 22, 2010 Share Posted January 22, 2010 I let mine in the rain, well i've got no choice really lol If they decide they don't want a bath they either hide in the Eglu or under the run cover Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
coco Posted January 22, 2010 Share Posted January 22, 2010 Mine just get wet. If it really pours down they either go back in the run or shelter under the hedge. they dry off overnight in their house. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
docsquid Posted January 22, 2010 Share Posted January 22, 2010 I normally let them out, and they go and root around under the bushes and stay reasonably dry. Today we were out this morning, but when we got back it was pouring, and so they stayed in their run, which is covered and pretty dry. They were not impressed and have been Bokking loudly in protest. It depends - if it is really pouring I tend to keep them in, as it reduces the mud levels in the garden. If the garden gets too muddy the cats then bring it in and the house gets muddy too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Carol U Posted January 22, 2010 Share Posted January 22, 2010 I do let mine out in the rain, but bring them in if they're looking too bedraggled. I sometimes suspend half a cabbage or similar from the top of their run. Grabbing bites while it swings gives them something to do and stops them from making too much of a protest din! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Patricia W Posted January 22, 2010 Share Posted January 22, 2010 I tend to keep mine in these days as they tend to just stand there- looking miserable! I thought if that's all they did they might as well stay in. I usually scatter corn in the run to give them something to dig up. In the summer it's different as the rain is warmer - and they seem to ignore it and go digging up the worms that come to the surface. Tricia Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Emz24 Posted January 22, 2010 Author Share Posted January 22, 2010 Hi thanks for the advise... What do you use to shelter your runs??? Do you have an average shower curtain or have you bought an actual Omlet winter shade??? Have been using a shower curtain but it isn't really making much difference now that it is raining harder. What do you recommend.... Emz24 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Patricia W Posted January 22, 2010 Share Posted January 22, 2010 I have the plastic sheets from Wickes - two of them ( but I think I may get another) they are held on by bungees. ANH has a lovely picture of an eglu run protected this way if I remember.... On the cube run, at the moment I have the winter shade because its under a large fir tree which keeps it dry. Hope that helps Tricia Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
docsquid Posted January 22, 2010 Share Posted January 22, 2010 I have a large glass-clear tarpaulin that covers the whole cube run almost down to floor level and slightly overhangs the door panel. That end of the run is fairly well sheltered by trees and a fence too, so it keeps pretty dry. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
grracee Posted January 22, 2010 Share Posted January 22, 2010 I go and open up the pop hole on the coop in the morning and let them decide what they want to do, they have never not come out, but i leave it up to them. If they do come out and it's pouring they tend to shelter under the rabbit hutch or the table orr if its really bad i let them in the shed I do tend to keep an eye on them though with the rain because a couple of times i have found them soaked through and worry about them being too wet so then i will try and put them in but normally they come straight back out! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
suebee Posted January 22, 2010 Share Posted January 22, 2010 Mine tend to come in when they've had enough. I always hang cabbage, whatever the weather, but if it's really rubbish weather, I'll hang a pecker block up for added boredom busting. Mine (home made) tend to last only about 3 or 4 hours, but suit them for an afternoon in. The WIR is covered in those corrugated clear plastic sheets, which OH sorted for me. Fab, but have still had to staple tough plastic sheets to the sides to stop the weather coming in that way. Roll on spring eh Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...