foreveryoung

Pets as therapy?

my son had to visit the hospital today to have a minor opp on his lip (he had a wart removed) anyway back to the subject...

we saw a PAT dog at the hospital... it got me thinking about blue maybe doing that... he loves attention, always out the front garden when the school kicks out egging for some attention...... hes still a little bouncy but wont jump up at you.

Ive been looking at their web site for more info.... anyone had any experiance with this??

I think that the dog has to be very gentle especially if they visit old people as their skin is so fragile. Also I remember being told that you have to be able to commit to regular visits as the people look forward to seeing them so much that yhou can't le them down. It was some years ago when I looked in to it though so it may have changed.

I think that the dog has to be very gentle especially if they visit old people as their skin is so fragile. Also I remember being told that you have to be able to commit to regular visits as the people look forward to seeing them so much that yhou can't le them down. It was some years ago when I looked in to it though so it may have changed.

yeah its still like that, blue not aggressive hes really stupid well smart but stupid if that makes sense!!

im a childminder at preasent so regular visits wouldnt be a problem.

yeah its still like that, blue not aggressive hes really stupid well smart but stupid if that makes sense!!

im a childminder at preasent so regular visits wouldnt be a problem.

My old GSD was a real sweetie and as soft as butter but liked to give her paw and it was rather a large one. I think that it might have been as issue if she was a PAT dog as she might have damaged the paper thin skin that old people have. I didn't pursue it as I worked shifts and couldn't guarantee the same day every week.

One of my four dogs is a PAT dog. He has visited elderly people in residential homes and special needs children in school.

He is my most excitable and easiest to wind up dog (staffie cross collie maybe) but always behaves well when visiting!

He had to have an assessment by a PAT dog co-ordinator. We met in a park and she saw me walking him on the lead (he's no angel), watched him meet other dogs and people and then came over to meet him herself. I had to hold him while she stroked him, made loud noises and sudden movements and things like that.

He also had to take food out of her hand. When he was visiting a residential home regularly all the residents used to save him bits of their breakfast and biscuits and things.

We have to renew our registration every year and sign things to say he is wormed and vaccinated etc (can be homeopathic/by titre rather than conventional) and pay a subscrition (£19).

It is really rewarding and definitely worth. Somehow Spikey always seems to know he is 'working' and he is always quite tired afterwards.

Hope this helps!!

Any other questions please ask!

Forgot to say...

You don't have to make a regular commitment when registering. Depends on what demand there is in your area as to what you get to do really. It makes it easier for institutions I guess to have a regular visitor - we were introduced the first time then left to get on with it. Not sure if it would be worth a place investing the time in paperwork, introductions etc if you weren't able to go regularly.

We also do lots of 'one-offs' though at a special needs school when children are having birthday parties and things like that, which are always fun.

Ah I keep looking into this but never get around to applying! However, I am a volunteer Children's Educational Speaker for the Blue Cross and one of my dogs (I have 4!!) is an Assessed Education Dog and comes with me into schools, Brownie groups etc where I talk to the children about the Blue Cross and looking after animals :) It's lots of fun and very rewarding. I also spent a day at crufts helping on the Blue Cross stand with my dog...great experience for me and my dog!

The lady that assessed my dog for this also does it for PAT so I would think it would be easy enough for me to get approved as he's already passed for the Blue Cross...hmm must get around to it!

Anyone else do it then?

Maria

-x-