Guest Narnia

anti pecking rings

My hens have had rings on for a couple of months now but I don't think they are as effective as they were, is there an alternative?? or is this going to be a continual battle! :?

Hi Narnia

Have you tried bumber bits? they are different to anti peck rings. You can get them from the Wernlas Collection (let me know if you need the details). They work along the same lines as anti peck rings. Babs had one on for several months, but it fell off after a while. It did work though (shame she has started again, but AnnieP gave me some anti peck rings)

You could try stockholm tar, but from what I have heard on here it is a nightmare to apply.

All the best

After a while, the beak grows around the rings and then it can close again as normal - and pecking may resume.

Usually, they don't resume pecking but there will always be one.

I posted yesterday in one of the stickies in Chicken Clinic about the Domestic Fowl Trust - they will send just a few out for you - no minimum - and no minimum to use a credit card for payment either.

Wot are bumber bits and where can I get them?? I'm willing try anything!! Frustratingly one or two of them have gone back into the habit but not in bullying kinda of way just when a hen has their back to them and with their back side sticking up in the air! :(GNRGNRGNR(white chicken)(white chicken)(white chicken):wall:

Bumber bits are similar to anti peck rings but they stick out of the front of the beak and also prevent it closing properly. babs looked a bit like Hannibal Lector but it did work.

Contact

SUE HAMMON

THE WERNLAS COLLECTION

ONIBURY

NEAR LUDLOW

SHROPSHIRE

SY7 9BL

They cost about 10p each so if you include a couple of stamps and a SAE that is the best thing, as a cheque is pointless :wink:

They are a b**ger to fit, good luck

The open ends go into the nostrils and the the ring is over the top beak. I found it easiest to slip the ring over the top beak and then work it up the beak until I could slip the ends into her nostril. I managed it own my own once I had wrapped her up in a large towel and got her on my lap - you may want to have someone to help though :wink::wink: