vickichicky

Help! chicken passed intestines?

Please can somebody help me - This evening when picking out the poop from my girls house as I do every night I found what looked like a large solid poo. It looked a bit odd, and having wormed them (vermex) last week I squished it to check for worms..... (I used disposable gloves don't worry! :) ). But to my horror it appeared to be tubes and fatty tissue of some kind! It wasn't worms of any kind. It was pinky cream coloured and when squished I could see the whole tube with different layers of colour. This sounds disgusting, but it almost smelt of raw meat, but not hugely awful smelling. I have 3 Ex-Batts who haven't layed for some months (aged about 2 1/2), 2 young girls who are about 21 weeks and yet to lay, and 2 girls who are laying everyday including today (aged 1 & 2). I suspect it's one of the exbatts as I did have 2 tiny grapesized yolkless bloody eggs about 2 months ago, and one of them keeps sitting in the nest box where I found this mess today. They all look fine, are eating etc, and no blood at all on any vents. The only other thing I have done recently is dust them with louse powder yesterday after finding lice round the vent of one. It has really worried me and I will be watching them all like a hawk from now on for any symptoms - has anyone else found a similar thing? Grateful for any advice!

Vicki

Hi Stacey,

Thanks for the quick response! Yes It did look like the big lump in the picture you posted - when I squished it it was tubey inside. It was firmish and fatty feeling, yuk yuk yuk! I haven't heard of this - I will look into it more. Do you think it might be one of my exbatts? Especially as they haven't layed for some time? Do you know if there is anything I can do? I love all my girls so much, it's made me feel a bit sick to think one might be ill :cry:

Vicki

I agree it is probably a lash. I haven't heard the theory of it being a bit of egg travelling too slowly through the oviduct, the other theory is that they sometimes shed some of the lining of the oviduct. Either way, you get a lump of 'meat' passed. More common in older birds and rarely a sign of serious problems. Most do it at some point in their lives. If they behaving normally I wouldn't worry. :D

I'd recommend the vets, for a quick check, but first you've got to find the culprit :-)

All ours are exbatts, and they've not laid since the moult in November. We've found one that was about to depart, because she was listless, off food and hiding under the trees on her own. She lost alot of weight, and Baytrill was given by the vet.

It took time, but she did get better over and the vet was surprised she'd survived (we took her into our caravan on holiday for a weekend)

She still lays these lashs, but the main problem is trying to stop the others eating them!! Yewwwwwwww!!

Still trying to find a solution, as soon we'll have to start BUYING eggs!!!!!

Snowy (we came to your fab course a while back) I've had several lumps like the one in the pic. A few have been the size of a Kinder egg plastic bit. She keeps laying them (usually laid with the poop) and standing up - hence trying to get them before the girls do.

Stacey

Oh yes, mine had purple stuff inside... (Yuk). I put it in a jar - incase I had to take it to the vets for examination, I don't think it is neccessary now I have all this info given to me.

I spent nearly an hour looking through my chicken health handbook - not knowing really where to start, should have come straight to the forem! You've all been so helpful :D Thanks so much everyone.

I had 7 happy healthy looking girls come tumbling out the house door when I opened it this morning :clap:

Vicki