Sara@Brentford

Deterioration in mobility?

Hi,

Ruby hasn’t been right for about six months now, she stopped laying (which is not unusual for a pure breed) and has seemed to prefer sitting huddled on the ground to scratching around with the other girls. Over the months I’ve wormed them all, kept an eye on the weak ones, checked that they are eating, drinking & pooing OK and I hoped that she’d come back in lay over spring…

She’s a Spanish Penedesenca who we brought home about 13 months ago at point of lay (so that makes her around 18 months old). When in lay, she gives us the most beautiful hazelnut brown eggs (4-5 a week).

Whilst she has lost some weight, she’s continued to be too spritely to catch easily – so I stopped worrying after a while…

This week, however, I’ve noticed her mobility drop considerably. She’s finding it hard to stand and I’m worried that this will affect her access to food and water. I’ve continued to research her symptoms and think it may be calcium deficiency. I’ve ordered some supplements online which should come today.

I brought her in overnight on Wednesday (keeping her in a pet carrier) with easy access to fresh water with Citricidal, mixed grit, and layers pellets mixed with a little oil to help Poultry Spice and Verm-X stick to it.

Thursday afternoon I let her out with the others on the lawn and she enjoyed pecking for some corn, then before I could stop her, she somehow managed to find the strength to hop up onto the ladder of the Eglu Cube and had made it into the nesting box. After all her effort – I let her stay there the night!

This morning, I let the girls out and when I brought fresh water to Ruby, I saw one of the others peck at her, so I’ve brought her in again for her own safety.

She has eaten, taken water and pooped… so internally, she seemed to be working. Whilst sitting down, she’s looking around and seems comfortable and interested in her surroundings…

If I’m right, then the calcium should make a difference (oyster shells in the grit, the Poultry Spice and the coming supplements). Let’s hope so…

What if there's something else wrong?

I’ve not seen this before – so any comments are welcome!

I know someone is bound to ask, but have you wormed her with something like Flubenvet? I believe Verm-x is a preventative rather than a cure if the chickens have worms.

Personally as it's been going on a while, I'd be inclined to take her to the vet - preferably one who knows about poultry. I've found its not too expensive where I am and my vet used to keep chickens so it has certainly worked for me.

Maybe some others will come on with more advice.

Tricia

Thanks Sandy,

RCVS search found Poultry vets 100's of miles away....

Thanks Eglutyne,

No swelling of abdomen... no flesh at all!

I think I lost a hen to peritonitis back in Feb and the symptoms are quite different.

My concern is that she's not eating when she's with the others (so she won't get her dose of Flubenvet)... if I isolate her (in a pet carrier) she seems a bit restricted, but is safe...

I'd love to get her back to full health... and laying again?

I have a decent couple of vets in Surrey, not 100,s of miles. did you check the box for "expert" not just those that will happily treat poultry. have you looked on the omlet recommended vets from members Like a Star where are you she is north london ish and has found a real gem near her, when she thought there was no one.

from Brentford to "my" Vet

Distance: 26.45 miles, about 38 mins

but oops should have explained better you click on the ADVANCE search button. Then I ticked for your birds and Poultry. so this link should take you to YOUR result page.

but it might only work from my pc, not exactly sure haow these things work/store. :)

Do ring them though and judge who is most suitable from their reply. I personally ttravell 45 mins to an experienced Vet and less for a VERY competant caring (less experoience vet) :)

I hope this helps, pm me if you want details of the vet 38mins away :)

The "advance search" box is just above in the box above where you enter your post code

probably got a homeopthic trained vet, maybe oseopath, chiropracter, accupressure. still trained in vet medicine. the question to ask is "has anyone got experience with chickens or birds?"

If they um or ah, or say well we have got someone that will look, " skip to the next one, if you are really lucky one will say oh yes straight away, we see lots of chooks or so and so has chooks too!

good luck, and my bloke is worth the drive, if you need to!

Hi Sandy,

Your bloke was definately worth the drive!

They guessed it was you who recommended me...

What was encouraging was that there were no obvious symptoms that I'd missed. In fact he couldn't find anything wrong apart from the fact that she is wasting away...

A couple of shorts of vitamins and a course of Baytril and hopefully her appetite, then weight and then her strength will pick up.

Thanks again!

Sara

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for asking, she seems to be responding to the Baytril, slowly but surely, but as she's not been right for 6 months, I'm not expecting an immediate recovery.... Her comb is improving, in colour & size/shape and she's more difficult to catch for her twice daily antibiotics!

Can you get your own supply of Baytril online?

Sara

no it is prescription only. The vets may send you some more if you ask them, if she is getting better and maybe need some more. but aside from the time It would think you would pay less on a 2nd visit. BUT ring him see what he says.

Did you get some pigeon tonic? Libby art retfords sent me some for a poolyt chook, and that would be the other suggestion, even if her poo is ok, it MIGHT tell a story that is different, a poo sample to retfords might be a good idea. Baytril being a broad spectrum antibiotic. she may have something it doesn't kil off.

I do rate oregano products. I use oregostim rhere are 2 others sold :D

i thought they might, I told him of your question, so maybe he was expecting it.

If she HAS somethinhg low grade , havig had it for so long sometimes it does take a longer course to kill off good sand proper are yu giving her live yoghurt or avipro? theanti bitivs kill off everything good and bad and Avipro has everything in it to help replace good flora.

you might like to get some live wax worms to help build her up too. not cheap though!!!

Hey !

Guess what?

After her final dose of Baytril.... we found an egg that can only be hers....!!!! :shock:

I can't believe it, she hasn't laid since September... but she's the only on who lays !eggbrown! the dark brown ones...

She's still really weak, so I might wait a while and then do another course of Baytril?

She seems to have gained weight, but not much strength yet - but I'm not surprised if she pushed out that perfect hazelnut brown egg!

Her crop seems full at night - which should be a good sign?

I'm quite hopeful :pray: