I'm having trouble with a rat (or two?). I thought we had solved the problem way back by putting the whole edge of the hens' run onto paving slabs. The rat has now started burrowing under that.

I think it's because I use the Bokashi Empowered compost system (see here) which makes a gorgeously revolting smell - probably heaven to rats - which then goes onto the compost heap. The rat(s) have been burrowng into that (even though I don't put any meat or fish in it - which you can do with this system as it all rots down) and so are now looking for pickings from the hens' food in their run.

The rat man has just been and when I told him about the hens he said that they aren't affected by the poison if they do peck it up - except that their eggs turn blue :shock: .

Is he right? I didn't let him put any poison where the girls may go but I am a bit worried.

How did the rat man lay the poison? He should have put it in a box with a small entry hole if it is anywhere near chickens; but it shouldn't really be put where the chickens can get at it. If the chickens eat the poison, it will not do them any good: it would have exactly the same effect on their blood as on a rat's blood. But they would have to eat quite a lot of it before it killed them, so don't panic if they eat a little: it is only Warfarin, after all, and elderly people get dosed moderately with it to thin their blood.

We had exactly the same trouble as you do with rats: they are much smarter than foxes, and no matter how many bricks or slabs I put down, they stepped back another yard and tunnelled further to get in.

Now that I bring the food in every night and wipe clean the poo tray every day, the rats have stopped tunnelling. (My rats were after the shelless eggs lying in the tray, I think, as they always started burrowing from the back of the Eglu.) I have poison down too, but in special containers provided by the council and hidden inside my compost bin.

I would strongly recommend to everyone not to leave any chicken food out at night; I read that advice myself and thought it was too much of a fag, and I was OK for eighteen months; then the rats came.

I'm having trouble with a rat (or two?).

Merryn, if you think you have one or two then there will be many more nearby! They can breed faster than traps can get them, so I've found that the rait bait is the only way to get rid of them (which you need to as a choickenkeeper). So, the action you have taken is necessary & the best approach......

I think it's because I use the Bokashi Empowered compost system which makes a gorgeously revolting smell - probably heaven to rats - which then goes onto the compost heap. The rat(s) have been burrowng into that (even though I don't put any meat or fish in it - which you can do with this system as it all rots down) and so are now looking for pickings from the hens' food in their run.

Yes, they came to my garden for the compost first before the chicken feed. & they love poo.

The rat man has just been and when I told him about the hens he said that they aren't affected by the poison if they do peck it up - except that their eggs turn blue :shock: .

Is he right? I didn't let him put any poison where the girls may go but I am a bit worried.

I think he's wrong, well partially. I certainly only place bait where the chickens have no access, in a tube or under boards. Why risk it? Rats like these hidden areas, there's no earthly reason why the bait should be left exposed to the hens.

But, apparently, the chickenfeed contains an antidote to the bait (vit K or something?) so the hens would be taking both. However, this makes it a doubly good reason to remove all chickenfeed at night, or you'll never kill the rats if they're eating both!

As Gallina says, it's an essential step in rat deterrant, and they always like a water source too.

Sounds as if you're heading in the right direction, hope they're gone soon!

Oh, & I spent a fortune on rat bait & traps last year. I didn't dare call ratman cos I couldn't bear the thought of :roll::roll::roll: at my chickens if he thought they had attracted the rats.

The rats are all around here (& most places) so I'm determined not to make my garden an easy option.

Good luck!

I'm horrified to learn from Sheila that we chicken-keepers are helping keep rats alive by providing them with the antidote to rat-poison! All the more reason for never leaving food and water out at night: it will justifiably give back-garden chicken-keepers a bad name.

Once you get used to it, pouring away the hens' water and bringing in their food every night isn't too bad at all: a full peanut under each arm and a huge jug of water in your hand each morning involves only one trip (Grub feeder not so easy, I imagine).

So it's the poo the rats are after, not just the occasional shell-less egg that slips through the bars. I can't face cleaning the poo-tray properly every night. Is there any smelly rat deterrent I could put on it that is also good for the compost heap? Or does nothing put rats off?

Thanks, everyone, that's helpful. The rat man (who looked rather like one himself!) put the poison in the compost bins and in a tray underneath some staging so the hens shouldn't be able to get at it. I think I shall take your advice and bring in the food at night.

We have dratted rats too...We found a lovely nest that they had made under the eglu. We dug it out and filled it in - but they were back straight away.

We have now laid wire mesh under the run so they can't get to the food (even bringing it in only helps a bit - mine are so messy). We stamped it flat on the earth - put a few bricks here and there to keep it flat - then covered it in a bed of hemcore. Its been a week and you can see where they've attempted to get in but to no avail.

Fingers and toes crossed. Poison and traps isn't an option for me - I used to have 14 pet rats and totally love them - I could not kill one...but I certainly don't want wild ones near the girls!

Will see if it works. Good luck to anyone else who has rats. Any more advice gratefully accepted.