Susie

chickens and terriers

Thought I ought to come back and tell you all of my decision with my naughty terrier and my girls. Having tried everything known to man I have now decided to sell my chickens and coop. It was all causing so much anxiety with having to make sure doors were shut (not easy in good weather) and also making sure that Louis is tied up. I had also to think of neighbours and myself actually - he was getting so hyped up. Anyway my hubbie isn't too happy as he loves the chickens although I must say he has never cleaned them out in 5 years!! typical. Its all very sad as they are laying so well at the moment but it really isn't fair on them anymore, or any of us actually. Maybe I'm just not giving it enough time but I feel that over 3 months is sufficient. I should have stuck with Labradors - so much easier. Anyway many thanks to you all for your advice.

:(

(white chicken)

(Bluebelle)

''The first couple of days the dogs were trembling with anticipation, and I think they imagined them roasted with little chefs hats on their leggys.''

I totally agree. I have a beautiful rescue Greyhound and bought the Omlet netting just to be safe. They can't help it, it's years of being trained to chase fluffy things. Just too tempting for a hound. A stern ''No, leave it!'' :shameonu: and the netting of course! My dog is now jealous when I go to see the girls.

I totally understand and appreciate your perspective but may I make a quick suggestion :?: . My dogs were/are chicken obsessed & I couldn't leave them all together for long but I got around this by having a semi-permanent run for the hens & to this end gave them the top 1/4 of the garden. We have a fairly solid fence all the way around which the dogs simply cannot access :D . The down side of course is that the hens don't get much totally F/R time other than an hour or so in the morning & evening. So everyone is fairly happy.

The other thing to think about is bantams. Our pekins have a garden run 12m x 3m ie 36sq metres. They are totally happy & rarely protest about being enclosed. The dogs never come into contact with them and I can leave my door open again :!:

Best wishes, Axx

Have now rehomed my girls. They have gone to a lovely home in the country and to caring owners. I miss them a lot and particularly their eggs. However, peace now reigns and the stress levels have dropped. Thank you to everyone for your suggestions but unfortunate that it didn't work out, for me anyway.

:(