chooklady

Sickly chicken - please help!! RIP Coco

Coco my Maran Cuivre is very poorly. She was a bit down yesterday but today she is barely moving, she's hunched up and she has her eyes closed and she is a bit wobbly.

She is at the bottom of the pecking order and been a bit off colour on and off since the really cold weather although nothing like she is now, she has had a few feathers missing for sometime now and there are no signs of regrowth.

I have seen her have a sip of water this morning although nothing much. Her crop feels 'blown up' I hope someone will know what I mean, I don't think it has food in it. Also her comb is red at the base but has a purple/maroon colour on the tips.

All the others are bright and breezy as normal.

I have brought her indoors and she has water and some tasty titbits but she is not interested at present.

I have found soft eggs on a few occasions lately, could this be her problem or is it something more sinister?

Your comments and opinions greatfully received.

Regards

Nicola

Edited by Guest

Is her crop full of fluid?

Details about sour crop *here*

If you aren't confident in treating her at home, then pop along to the vet for advice. They should be able to help her and the sooner it is dealt with, the more chance she has of it going away, if it is sour crop.

All the best.

Thanks Christian, my daugther and I have just 'emptied' her crop of fluid, it was clear to start with but then quickly turned brownish and very smelly, we did this a little at a time as the article suggested until we could get nothing else out. She is now resting in a box in the kitchen until hubby comes home with the yogurt.

Thanks for your help, I have been so lucky this is only the 3rd 'illness' since getting my hens 20 months ago. So I'm still rather a novice with chicken ailments.

I'm afraid it is too late, she had a drink this morning but was then very sleepy, very heavy breathing but not wheezing just big deep breaths, I went and had a shower and when I came back downstairs she was gone.

Poor Coco, she was warm and comfortable at the end.

:cry: I'm sorry to hear about poor Coco. I too lost my best hen today. she had all the same symptoms as your hen. She had only been ill a couple of days. :cry:

Coco was only ill for a very brief time, at least it was quick and she did not appear to be in any discomfort.

Sorry to hear about yours too :(