cathybc

Positive vibes for Mary bunny please...head tilt experience?

got home from work yesterday and found her in the dig box, head lolling like she has had a stroke. Spent an hour in the emergency vets; they have kept her in, it could be a number of things (stroke, brain tumour, parasite) and she could be fine in a couple of days but then again...she is an oldie so I am very worried about her. Keeping all my fingers and toes crossed, it was horrible to see her like that :( Her boyfriend just got stuck into the greens I had j put down for them so he was no help! :roll:

Edited by Guest

Thanks for your good wishes.

The vet has said she has eaten on her own which is a good sign. But she is not allowed home yet 'cos she needs hourly obs and as I have only been in this job 4 weeks I can't get time off. I know she is in good hands but I just want to giver her a big hug and tell I still lover her even with a wobbly head :(

hello again all. Mary is still very poorly but being nursed at home now which is much better.

She has severe head tilt which is very distressing to see. Has anyone else had experience of head tilt?

They have said it is not bacterial, as she would be better by now if it was. So she is still on panacur in case it is parasitic (e-cunucili - sp??) and going to the vets weekly to check that she has not got sores/guts stasis/a respiratory infection, which are apparently common side effects.

She has seemed a bit perkier this week but it is so hard to know what to do for the best. Unless she improves/deteriates she is back at the vet again on Saturday. She has fought so hard so far that I don't want to give up on her but at the same time, don't want her to be suffering. But, while she is eating M&S greens :roll: I will keep hoping.

Hello,

If it is EC then the prognosis for making a recovery is fairly good if you get to it in time, although you may never get a full recovery and it can come back. I don't know how long you were prescribed panacur for but most good vets will recomend 28 days and you have to make sure that you are absolutely scrupulous about cleaning, expecially in the last week of the course. This is because EC can hang around for around 3 months. Bleech (a 10% solution) or steam is the best and don't let her on any grass than she has been on before for 3 months +

Alongside panacur vets will often prescribe baytril which has actually shown to aid panacur to work in a few studies and also helps to rule out ear infection which can also cause headtilt. They will also often prescribe metacam which helps to reduce inflamation or steroids depending on the severity of the symptoms.

I have one EC bunny who developed urinary incontinence. He made a full recovery after about 1 month. However symptoms did come back about 3 months later & it took another course to clear him. We also have a head tilt bunny in rescue at the moment. her symptoms were very severe and she is on seprin, panacur & metacam. It has taken about a month but she is showing significant improvement however she still has issues and we are not sure she will recover fully but she does now have "quality of life"

thanks again for your good wishes, and thanks ecucd; she was on Baytril for about 12 days and has been on Panacur for 31/2 weeks. She was on metacam when first ill but they have said she doesn't need to be on it now?

She is stable but any improvement this week has been negligible although she does seem to have eaten a few more pellets. I don't care what she looks like, as you say, I am just concerned about her quality of life/being in pain.

Anyway, back to the vets tomorrow for another check....

aw, thanks for asking.

She is on panacur for another week and they don't need to see her again - they said she should either get better (albeit probably slowly) or would go downhill, in which case take her back to be pts :( The vet was much nicer than the one last week and gave her a good check up.

So, keeping everything crossed for her. She is a feisty madam, and in the last couple of days has been ripping up the newspaper I put down for her to use as a toilet (she can't get into her normal box), so hopefully she is recovering as the state of my carpet deteriorates!

hello again, thanks for your good wishes. Mary is still hanging on in there, recovery still slow but she seems to be able to do a hop without falling over now.....and the poor thing survived sharing the bedroom with two escaped chinchillas for almost a week :oops: