bethany

enteritis complex

My rabbit was diagnosed with entiritis complex yesterday. She has stayed a night at the vets. I know she has survived after being given a 50% survival rate, but do not know what condition she is in until the vet phones me later. Does anyone have any experience of this?

*just got a call from the vet, she died :( good bye hazel (brown white rabbit)

Hi Bethany

So sorry to hear about Hazel :( That's so sad for you. I have never heard of this either, but have found this article on the CottonTails site which you may like to read. It seems like it has a sudden onset illness with hard to spot symptoms so not much you could have done. :(

http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/gutstasis.asp

Big Hugs to you Bethany x

Edited by Guest

sorry to hear about your loss.

The diagnosis of mucoid entiritis is a general term used to describe severe digestive upset. it is very common in young bunnies and/or bunnies who's diets have be changed to quickly and the bacterior in the guts can't handle the change. Symptoms are usually indications of pain such as lethargy, hunched appearance, tooth grinding, refusal to eat and the passing of mucus. It can also be caused by a paracite called coccidiosis. If you have other rabbits I would suggest treating them for coccidiosis as it is highly contagious and frequantly fatal.

Thankyou for your kind comments. Enteritis complex is different from mucoid entiritis apparently, with the mucoid their faeces are covered in a sort of mucus, but they can both be fatal. Luckily this was not contagious and my other rabbit is fine, but I did a deep clean of everything just in case! After she died, it also turned out she had a tumour deep within her tummy. So it would have happened at some time, I'm just glad I was there for her.