Julie65

Entrance

Hi

I am a new beekeeper - 1 week in.

My bees don't want to use the entrance. They try to get in through the corners and edges of the beehaus.

I've had a look at them today, some flew out, and all clustered together at one of the edges (near the bungee hole). Tried to entice some of them to their entrance with no success. They walk in the opposite direction and fly back to where they were.

I'm not seeing them fly in and out at all.

What can I do?

Julie

No takers to answer, I see.

I hope they are not able to get in and out other than using the entrance.

What can you do? Open the entrance?

RAB

Hi Julie,

Thanks for your post - I am sorry that up until now you have not received any constructive assistance with your conundrum...

I know this may be stating the obvious - but is the entrance blocked by the silver hive blocker attachment?

If its facing "closed" the bees will not be able to enter or exit the hive but if its open (you should see the blocker saying Wasp) this has the 4 spaces for the bees to get in and out of... The bees should not be able to exit through any other part of the Beehaus so not sure why they are getting confused so it may be worth removing the entrance blocker for a while until the bees get accustomed to knowing that is where they need to gain entry or exit from...

I am sure they will soon realise that they are doing something wrong and start using the entrance... I know my bees took a while but they are now using the entrance as they should be...

What I would say is if the problem persists, let me know and I will pop my thinking cap on to see if I can think of anything else to help...

Thanks,

They might be using the hole - as mentioned in another post (where the hive was closed up but the bees escaped).

Failing that, they may well be a very distressed colony by now.