BiBiBi

Eye problem

I've noticed one of my hens has a problem with one of her eyes. She is keeping it closed most of the time and it looks a bit swollen. It's been like that for about a week or more - I was hoping it would just clear up naturally but it doesn't seem to be getting much better. We have a "sword" plant with sharp leaves and I was wondering if she might have jabbed her eye on a leaf as they do like to get underneath it in the shade it provides, or whether something else could have caused it. All the others seem fine and it's only one of her eyes that's got the problem. She always had strange eyes anyway - the pupils seem abnormally small. Any advice much appreciated. Thanks.

Try bathing it in cold, black, tea. It has antiseptic properties and should help her feel more comfortable.

If she seems in pain take her to be checked out at the vets, if not, try the tea and see if it improves within a few days.

Thanks for the black tea suggestion. I will try that. How can you tell if she is in pain? She seems ok...laying eggs fine, but she does seem a bit subdued. Sometimes she sits down and turns her head round to bury her head in her feathers. Maybe I should take her to the vet. It's just so expensive to see a vet and when you're on a tight budget it's hard!

An update on Speckles sore eye: I tried the black tea and it seemed to improve slightly but after a while still not properly better. So, not being able to afford the £40 for a consultation (treatments extra) I went to the pharmacy and asked the pharmacist to recommend some eye drops. He gave me some costing £4 called "Brolene", but warned that they were not licensed for use on animals - I said I would try them at my own risk ....funny really when you think most drugs are tested on animals FIRST anyway...

So I used the drops for about a week and now she is fully recovered. Hurrah! :D