Toots

an extraction tip

ok so we actually harvested our first honey.... sorry everyone but this is the best honey anyone has tasted ......ever!

while we were extracting it wasn't too difficult, a little sticky but straight froward.

i had a sieve and a muslin strainer over a settling bucket ((16 liters so far!)

my tip is this.... make sure the settling bucket tap is CLOSED.

I only lost a lb. or so but that much honey does spread thin over a large area!!!!!

Another tip is NEVER leave a honey valve open in your absence - unless there is never going to be enough to overflow - or you will have a mess sooner or later! BTDT.

Regards, RAB

Oh dear. Someone remarked to me that 'honey flows silently - it can be quite a while before you notice it'!

It's so exciting isn't it, I don't know what 16 litres converts to in weight but that sounds like quite a lot. A very useful tip that I was given is to wash everything in cold water, not hot.

Newtons - of course!

Ask for a weight and expect anything other than a force from a physicist?

As water content of honey can vary by about 5% and the pollen content can also be a lesser factor, I would not be too prescriptive for the actual absolute value. Even 16l could be + or - about 3%, after all.

Regards, RAB