Ms Marple

Anyone ever had a blind chicken?

One of our girls went blind just before she died. I thought I was imagining it at first, but our vet confirmed there was very little response when he shone a light in her eyes. Henrietta was our top chick, so may well have been hiding her illness. Our vet disganoised a paralysed crop, she had an injection but sadly died in her sleep. I think in her case it was a number of things, she was quite an elderly ex-batt but and I think she may have hidden other things. It was very upsetting to see our normally brave girl in such a way.

Yes, one of my Orpingtons, Peg ~24weeks, is blind/partially sighted. She has issues - a leg that’s stiff and can't bend (seeing her run is comical) and is blind. Not sure how much vision she has she knows where 'home' is and where the food stations are but doesn't see close up. She's come close, on more than one occasion, of going in the pond. She pecks randomly at food, not precise pecks for a mealworm for example, just hit and miss.

As she's special she gets extra treats & help, as a consequence she’s very easy to catch and cuddle. She can climb the ladder into the cube - it takes her awhile but she gets there in the end; when the new cube arrives it's going to be sited lower so she an the other Orpingtons don't have to climb.

If she ever gets ill and needs a visit to the vet I'll ask them to look at her eyes but given that she seems to be in good health there's no point in stressing her out.

Hi again. That is encouraging to read actually as it sounds very much like my poland( and polands are visually challenged anyway). In particular the random peacking at food ( and water). She seems to have learnt where they are... but misses more often than hits! Doesn't find it easy to get into the eglu either and stumbles on the little steps inside. Other than that now she does seem fine. She is 14 weeks old. We now think that she was extremely disorientated when we moved her due to the illness of the other poland which is why when I posted about her initially I was so concerned. The sableppot is the most awesome 'guide chicken' though. I wonder if there is a niche in the market for this? :think::D

Yes, I was thinking of asking the question myself, my speckledy Lavender is nearly blind in both eyes. One has been so since I had her at POL, it has a different appearance, but it didn't hinder her at all.

However, this summer (I think she's 4/5 years) the second eye looks the same & she misses most things. She can get around, but not so well.

This week it is apparent that I need to give her special treatment to ensure she is getting enough feed. She's still coping well, and still manages the Cube, but I may have to assist her more as time goes by.

She's a lovely bird, very tame. At first I thought she was still mourning her companion Bluebelle, she seemed a bit lost, but on inspection I could tell her sight had deteriorated.

I don't know the cause, she is completely well in every other respect, the other hens still accept her, and she will have a happy life here.

Well, 2 weeks later, Lavender's probably totally blind, but disguising it well from the flock. She must drink OK and find her way around the run quite well.

But, I need to remove her daily for individual feeding, which is sad.

I've noticed her roosting outside which has been fine up until now, and I thought it was just staying up late. But, this evening I carried her in from the starting rain, it must be that she can't get into the Cube.

She was happy being placed in the mark 1 Eglu, which is on the platform where she goes regularly during the day, I'm surprised she hadn't worked out to sleep there.

I'll put her there myself each evening & hope she learns.

It's difficult going from a semi independent flock, to having one totally dependent hen.

But she's a sweetheart, content with her companions, and very tame with me.

ahh so sad.

My special blind girl - seems to be doing OK but she has no clue when it comes to treats; if they arn't in the normal food stations then she has no hope of getting any, consequently I do keep a special eye on her and give her one 2 one feeding away from the others. But she seems happy, hasn't lost condition or weight, has been crouching for over a week she enjoys chickening around. Heres a picture of her - she the one with the bracelet

Mybeautifulgirls.jpg

Another 3 weeks of Lavendar's total blindness has passed, so here's an update.

I'm afraid I'm finding it really hard work, she would not survive without my intervention.

I have to spend a long time daily giving her food & water by holding the bowl under her beak. Then I need to put her to bed (& recently brought her in) as she'll be roosting outside getting wet & cold otherwise.

It's a big commitment and I can't be away & leave them with a chickensitter because of this situation.

Luckily I love her to bits & will always care for her, but thouht I should post about the realities of her condition.

Next weekend I might see if I can rig up some indepent living for her in an Eglu & run within Fortknox. I'm not sure if there's room.

She's still OK living with the others, she disguises her condition, but is unable to eat or go in the Cube with them.

I'd like to achieve a set up where she can find her own food, water & housing and be with the others but protected from them.

Poor Lavender :( We are much the samer here with Polly-except that as she is a bantam I have kept her and Sabrina away from the big girls in their very wide open run. She knows full-well where the food and water are placed and I have learnt not to change things. She misses out on corn or treats unless I can persuade her to eat from my hand which thus far has not been easy. She is growing and seems content so I guess on that front I am lucky. You are right though she will always need extra care. iIopened the run to let them have a run around the garden at the weekend but she did not even notice!! Not surprising really. She always goes to bed early and had certainly learnt her way around the eglu run.