jsbates65

Peas & Pasta

Just written a checklist for my holiday hen sitter ............ Sweetcorn, Lettuce, Cucumber, Cabbage, Broccoli, Other boiled veggie peeling (pots, carrots etc), Peas, Pasta (Snipped up if its big pieces) , Grapes, Raisins, Banana, Blueberries, Strawberries, Mashed potato, crushed boiled or jacket potato ,Scrambled eggs, Plain Bio Yogurt, Cereals.

No Citrus, raw egg , Peppers , Meat or Fish ,Avocado ,Bread or rice ( swells in the crop), Tomatoes or tomato plant leafs

Mine just don't like peppers or toms - I don't think they are bad for them in any way 8)

Just written a checklist for my holiday hen sitter ............ Sweetcorn, Lettuce, Cucumber, Cabbage, Broccoli, Other boiled veggie peeling (pots, carrots etc), Peas, Pasta (Snipped up if its big pieces) , Grapes, Raisins, Banana, Blueberries, Strawberries, Mashed potato, crushed boiled or jacket potato ,Scrambled eggs, Plain Bio Yogurt, Cereals.

No Citrus, raw egg , Peppers , Meat or Fish ,Avocado ,Bread or rice ( swells in the crop), Tomatoes or tomato plant leafs

Mine just don't like peppers or toms - I don't think they are bad for them in any way 8)

Are you really not supposed to give them bread!!!!!! Oh no, I've done it a few times and they go mad for toast. Is this harmful???

Ingrid and Matilda went doolally for some leftover chow mein the other night (don't worry, I did remember to remove the chicken pieces - ugh). Didn't know that about rice though, swelling in the crop, the girls went even more doolally for the singapore (spicy) rice! They didn't appear to have any problems with it but I shall make sure I don't give it to them again.

They get psychotic over grapes - you take your life in your hands if they know you've got any.... :roll:

boiled potato skins go down well,but thay have to be boiled for about 20mins.

i give mine sprouting beans and seeds as i got a kit for my b'day. mung beans go down well and so does soaked corn.

try this site if you are interested.www.livingfood.co.uk/content/?p=whatis

p.s sprouting seeds and beans are edible for humans aswell.

Didn't know that about rice though, swelling in the crop

Re this - I had 2 hens go down with sour crop about 8 months ago & sadly lost one.

So I posted on here & someone mentioned that rice can cause crop problems & I had fed them a load of plain boiled rice the night before they got sick - but it was a large amount.

I am sure a little rice would be fine, & they have since had small amounts with no problems.

I save up all the leftover s"Ooops, word censored!"s throughout the day, including bread, and turn it into a mushy porrge consistency by adding warm water. They love anything sloppy like this and I give it them in the evening. Have given them rice as well - I thought that it would be fine cooked! they certainly enjoy it :roll: