lloyd Posted September 6, 2010 Share Posted September 6, 2010 Hi I have 2 chickens and one of them has always got a slightly less red comb, I noticed today that she has some black spots that were not there yesterday on the comb, and on one side of her wattle. I have a picture that is bad because its from an iPhone, but does anyone have any idea what it might be? Thanks L Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted September 6, 2010 Share Posted September 6, 2010 Could just be an injury, but might be fowl pox Does she have them anywhere else? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lloyd Posted September 6, 2010 Author Share Posted September 6, 2010 Yes on that image you can see one on the wattle, and a couple of smaller one on the top of the comb directly above the eye at the top of the comb. They weren't there yesterday, what causes it? will she be ok? What should I do tonight? L Argh i feel sick. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted September 6, 2010 Share Posted September 6, 2010 Have a google, but there's no treatment from what I can remember, it's a bit like our human chicken pox, just treat the symptoms. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lloyd Posted September 6, 2010 Author Share Posted September 6, 2010 Looking a google the black spots I see on Pox Chickens are dry, like dried blood. This look more like its under the skin, like a blood blister! Some things I have seen say bites, however how woudl I know if it is this? She doesnt seem off her food or water, and doesn't mind me touching it. Shoudl I apply vaseline to make sure if it is a bit what ever is trying cant get her again? L Cheers BTW. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Deb Dav Posted September 6, 2010 Share Posted September 6, 2010 Look at this link: http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=14877 Good Luck Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lloyd Posted September 6, 2010 Author Share Posted September 6, 2010 Found an old garden weeding bin (big tub thingy) full of water hidden behind a bush. Emptied out see what happens. Will they go down quickly if they are bites? L Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lloyd Posted September 6, 2010 Author Share Posted September 6, 2010 OK Another question (sorry) I have the Total Mite Kill already, however Im always scared to use it because of all the warnings. What do you guys do with the spray version of it? Im worried about the chooks eating any run off from the spray. Also would you put any on the girls or make a dilute wash to use on them? I have Diatom powder and it looks like something is burrowing through it under or out from the roosting bars and between the egg nesting bit. L Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lloyd Posted September 7, 2010 Author Share Posted September 7, 2010 Today they don't look any worse than yesterday however Im booked in to the vets. Can I ask, if you are using a permanent area for the eglu to sit, what ground sanitiser do you use, and where do you get it from? L Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted September 7, 2010 Share Posted September 7, 2010 I use either Stalosan or BioDri, there's a new ground sanitising powder out too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lloyd Posted September 7, 2010 Author Share Posted September 7, 2010 OK, visited the Vet today (Silva in Midsomer Norton, seen them recommended on here), the Vet said she wasn't sure what it was, and asked one of the Large Animal Vets (I assume that is a farm vet) He was also unsure so they took some photos and will ask around and get back to me. They said she looked ok, and that as long as she was acting normally then just keep an eye on them both. If this is pox, then can anyone recommend any things I should/shouldn't do to help the girls (I guess that if Mavis has it Floss will too). I have them on their layers pellets and some Natural Bio Yog, Verm-x in the water and that is it so far. God I'm so worried about them, I love them to bits and really don't want to see anything happen! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jools Posted September 7, 2010 Share Posted September 7, 2010 Fowl Pox is pretty rare in the UK I think I'd be looking for other causes, or asking the vet to do some tests to check....... I don't know what it is mind you! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted September 7, 2010 Share Posted September 7, 2010 I understand it resolves in a couple of weeks. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lloyd Posted September 7, 2010 Author Share Posted September 7, 2010 I hope Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...