Bramble

Orange - transferring mobile number

Hi, I'm currently on Orange PAYG and need a new mobile. I'd like to stay with Orange PAYG, but just wondered, if I buy another orange 'phone, how easy is it to transfer my existing number to the new 'phone (don't want to just put old SIM in to new 'phone 'cos I don't think it's up to giving me internet access, etc).

Thanks in advance for any advice guys!

Very easy. Just tell them when you buy and there will be a number to ring to set up your new phone and sim card with your old number. It used to be a real pain, but the last time I did it it was quite a painless procedure! You do need to make sure all the info from your old sim and phone is transferred to the new one first, but they are good at talking you through the process if you make a total mess of it :oops:

Very easy. Just tell them when you buy and there will be a number to ring to set up your new phone and sim card with your old number. It used to be a real pain, but the last time I did it it was quite a painless procedure! You do need to make sure all the info from your old sim and phone is transferred to the new one first, but they are good at talking you through the process if you make a total mess of it :oops:

Oh cool, thanks, I'd heard that transferring the number was a real headache which is what had put me off, but my current 'phone is really long overdue for replacement so I'll maybe pop into the Orange shop to buy a new one.

Thanks

Don't know why you can't use the current sim? but if that is the case, just phone Orange explain the situation and tell them you'd like a replacement SIM card ... should be there in 2 or 3 days :D

Had to do the same when I lost mine a few weeks ago and was fine.

Know you want to stay on Orange, but if you'll be using the internet on PAYG it can be expensive ... unless you're on Dolphin + top up £10 a month ...

in which case if you spend £10 a month, you can get 500 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited internet on a Te$co sim-only contract for £10 a month ;) Thats what I've just switched to from Orange PAYG :D

Sorry, will stop waffling now :lol:

Thanks everyone! Think I need to stay with Orange, coverage with other networks in my area is hit and miss at best (and not always fantastic with orange, but they seem the best of the bunch).

The SIM I've got doesn't seem to let me use the internet, the 'phone keeps saying "subscribe to packet data" (or something equally unintelligable) I've done everything on the website FAQs section and still doesn't work, so assume it's the SIM cos the phone is supposed to be internet useable, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the advice!

Might be worth looking at their SIM only deals as well. You pay a set fee per month and get a certain package in return (bit like being on a contract) but you can cancel at any time - or at least with the deal I'm on you can. What you don't get is a free phone upgrade every 12-18 months but you don't get that on PAYG either.

If you go to SIM only you need to ask about keeping your number, they transferred mine ok with no real grumbles. OH had a bit more of a challenge but threatened to leave them and they backed down! :D

Spooky - I did this just this afternoon with Orange.

Am on PAYGo with Orange with £22 remaining credit but phone died. So bought new Orange Magic PAYGo phone from Argos today with £10 top up.

Followed the instructions in the box - Put my new sim card in old phone, copied over phone directory and it said it would keep my old number when I put it into new phone! Well it didn't.

BUT - all was ok. I phoned Orange customer services, and they did it all for me.

First they applied my £10 top up to the new orange tel number. Then they transferred that £10 to my old number so I had £32 credit. Then they switched my new number over to my old number and said I would receive a text when it was all done and could take up to 24 hours. But within a few hours my new phone had my old number in it plus all my credit was ok.

Really needed to speak to them in person though as they sorted it all out for me.

Hope that helps.