miller30

Ive been reported already

I'll definitely do that then...plus, if I do it by letter, they can reply anonymously and so feel they can be honest about it to me rather than contacting authorities.

I just want to give a beautiful bird a chance at life...I never had any intention of getting a cockerel and I certainly don't want to upset anyone! I just prefer to know all the facts, just in case!

:D

I think that writing to your neighbours is a polite way to do it. I'd appreciate that kind of consideration. I do think you need to be careful with your wording though as it may provide less open minded neighbours with 'ammunition' if they decide to complain about the noise.

:?

I live in a rural location and find the sound of cockerels acceptable. I think that I may also find it acceptable if I lived in an urban area that had large gardens etc. I don't think I'd find it acceptable in smaller gardens. Of course this also depends on the individual cockerel so it is not easy.

Re the writing to neighbours thing, I think its a great idea. We have a pub near us that has a music festival. Previous years it has been a surprise and then a stress of wondering when it will end, what about the noise etc. One year the landlord sent us all a letter telling us when it was happening, the times, and a mobile phone number for him. It absolutely made the world of difference. I think most of the time with noise its the feeling of lack of control, you don't know how long, will it ever stop, what can you do if it gets too much etc. A simple acknowledgment and way of contacting the person involved resolves that. I ended up singing the praises of the existence of said music festival :D