miller30

Ive been reported already

Someone has reported me to the enviromental health over my 15 week old pekin bantam cockeral hes only been crowing for 6 weeks but asked all the neighbours and no one knows nothing they all said the noise does not bother them well it does some one he only crows a few times about every couple of hours leanne.

I guess the noise travels - so it wouldn't just be immediate neighbours that would be affected?

How built up is it in your area? I know I could never try keeping a cockrell in my estate - would be expecting too much from too many people! I cringe as it is when they do the odd egg announcement and Fred's "let me out NOW" screeches (she is never let out when being noisy - she has yet to learn that being quiet is the easiest way to get to the rest of the garden!)

Teddy goes in a box in his house at 7.30 every night and gets let out at 9.30 in the morning its nothing to do with early morning whoever it is doesnt want him to crow in the day ive moved him down the end of my garden now which backs on to waste land and a school he crows a couple of times every couple of hours i dont think thats bad he was exactly like you cockeral bluediamond to start with but has got more vocal so i will wait and see nothing will happen for a month because they need to see the noise diarys which i am doing my own so they cant lie leanne.

I don't think they can do anything if its within the legal time slots (dont quote me on this though) I let Teddy out between 8-8.15am and he takes himself to bed about 7pm. He crows alot in the mornings now, but dont hear a peep out of him for the rest of the day. Hope the complaint goes away, people can be horrible sometimes, its your pet :( we don't complain about noisey barking dogs! :twisted:

the laws mean't to be changing soon hopefully, so we can all have a cock :D

I don't think they can do anything if its within the legal time slots (dont quote me on this though) I let Teddy out between 8-8.15am and he takes himself to bed about 7pm. He crows alot in the mornings now, but dont hear a peep out of him for the rest of the day. Hope the complaint goes away, people can be horrible sometimes, its your pet :( we don't complain about noisey barking dogs! :twisted:

As far as I'm aware (from the complaint we had against us last year) it doesn't matter what time of day it is.

As far as I'm aware (from the complaint we had against us last year) it doesn't matter what time of day it is.

Uh oh :( what happened with your case?

Uh oh :( what happened with your case?

We tried keeping the door shut and covering up the coops but it didn't really help. The EHO did tell us that we could take the issue as far as possible ie make people keep diaries, then have noise monitoring equipment but we knew what the outcome would be I'm afraid :( The EHO said that if something was a nusiance to just one person and the complaint was justified that was enough :(

A friend despatched them for us and we ate them. We'd never intended having cockerels but two out of four eggs hatched by our broody were boys and they were lovely. Used to come running over to jump on my knee for cuddles and a snooze. One was a Welsummer and one was a Welsummer/Copper Black Maran cross so they were loud as well. They were late starters though so we were able to enjoy them for quite a while

We have since had another complaint against us where some lying individual told the EHO we had a cockerel again but as we don't the EHO is still waiting for the noise diary :roll:

Would be wonderful if the law was changed as I will be first out to get a cockerel!

that is such a shame. we had to rehome ours (who was meant to be a girl) because a neighbour who worked nights put some stuff on facebook about wanting to shoot him. however, as soon as we had rehomed him, most of the other neighbours kept asking where he'd gone because they missed him! however, although they are lovely and perfect with the girls, I think cockerels are a recipe for disaster if you have neighbours.

I havent heard a cockerel for years but wouldnt have one because of built up area. There is a dog a few gardens down who barks most evenings and someone who is constantly reving (sp) up a motorbike - this I find irritating but not to point of complaining. When we honeymooned in Aegina a lovely Greek island the cockerels woke about 5am and you could hear them crowing round the island - our local one started and each would take its turn getting fainter and fainter. we used to lie awake and listen till we got fed up and went back to sleep. Some people complain about anything. Its a difficult one. Hope you get it sorted.

Hi well ive asked neighbours across the street now and they have heard nothing didnt even know i had a cockeral my other neighbours have said they will speak to the council and tell them their not bothered im gonna take this as far as it will go and fight and see what happens i even phoned the councillor who laughed and hes gonna try and find out who complained and invite them to my house to talk to me so we will see what happens thanks everyone leanne.

Edited by Guest

Oh Leanne, I really hope you get somewhere with this - let us know how you get on won't you?

People can be so nasty can't they :x

As others have mentioned, folks don't complain about cars revving, music playing or even cats prowling and doing their business all over other gardens :roll:

Our doggy Ben only barks if he hears something coming to the house but our neighbours are okay about this as it's good security for them too :)

Gosh, I can't believe someone would complain about a cockerel crowing in the daytime.

I can completely understand people being annoyed about an early morning wake up call, but during the day....? Seriously, do people actually find the noise of a cockerel annoying to the point of complaining during the daytime, given there is so much other environmental noise?

We have a cockerel somewhere near to us (not sure where exactly, must be a few streets away but the noise sure does travel :lol: ). In the summer we can hear him crowing early in the morning when we have the windows open, I actually don't mind the noise, but then I am usually awake anyway because the hens have usually started shouting at the crack of dawn :roll::lol:

Do you think all the neighbours know that you take measures to make sure he doesn't crow at dawn? I can imagine if a neighbour didn't know that could be stopped, then they might be anxious that it will start crowing at 4am or something. So maybe it could be resolved by setting minds at rest in regard to that, and explaining that to people? Maybe via env health as I can imagine no-one will admit it was them. Of course, I might well be way off the mark as you know the situation best, but just thought it could be an idea?

Hi ive just spoken to the council again to tell them i have now been to 6 of my neighbours and know one cares so can they tell me if this person is a resident in my road and they cant tell me anything she said not to be worried and if they hear nothing else the case will be closed on the 16 october he has to be such of a nuisance hes ruining someones life in their own property thats a joke and they cant give the person any messages from me to say come and see me either thanks everyone will let you know what happens to poor teddy leanne.

Oh Dear, i really hope you get a good ending to this one :pray: Most of your neighbours sound very nice. It is amazing how some people just love to complain, about anything they can, im sure the person who complained about Teddy is probably the same sort of person who writes, emails and calls every newspaper, tv or radio station to complain about the slightest thing, its a full time occupation for some! :evil:

Good Luck!!! :D