Pinkybijou

crusty nostrils advice?

Hi there! I'm a regular lurker but infrequent poster and wonder if anyone has any advice or thoughts on this. I have three chooks, two are almost 3 years old, and one is 2 years old. One of my older girls Doris appears to have totally blocked nostrils. They look to be blocked with dried mash or something. She doesn't seem bothered by it at all and is feeding well. She isn't laying at the moment as she's just had a moult but I'm concerned about the nostrils. My other two seem OK.

I generally feed them pellets and mixed corn, as well as the usual greens and treats. I tried to poke one of her nostrils with a cocktail stick but she really didn't like this so Istopped as it was stressing her. She is a very friendly hen and loves being cuddled so would be quite tolerant of any treatments I think.

Any ideas? Does she need treating, and if so how? Any advice would be really appreciated. She is my favourite too (but don't tell Dora and Banjo that!).

Kris

I had this the other day with Betty. She didn't seem bothered by it at all, but both nostrils were full of dried gunky stuff. We think it was aubiose, but she does tend to put her head absolutley everywhere and try to eat absolutely everything she comes in contact with, so it was probably a mix.

We held her, pushed her head down slightly, and picked away the goop. She was not particularly chuffed but hasn't had any recurrence.