WitchHazel

Jewellers - recommendations please

Hi All

My daughter-in-law, who lives some way away, is 30 this year. I'm not sure what to get her as a present, but I'm considering jewellery. I don't want to buy an item, as I think jewellery is a very personal matter, so I'd like to give her vouchers from a jewellers so she can choose an item herself.

I haven't bought anything from a jewellers for longer than I care to remember (hypersensitive skin), and I no longer have any understanding of how the various jewellery shops are regarded.

I guess I'm most interested in knowing which jewellers are held in low esteem, so I know which ones to avoid.

I can see lots of opportunities for inadvertently offending people, so please feel free to PM me instead of posting here.

Thanks for any tips.

Why not hedge your bets and get her some Love2shop vouchers - there are a couple of jewellers on their list and also lots of other shops if she decides she would rather have something else?

Thanks chickendoodle. I wanted to avoid general vouchers, as these can sometimes seem as though very little thought has gone into them (even when it has). The reason for thinking about a jewellery voucher was that I'd really like to buy her a piece of jewellery for her 30th, but I feel that jewellery is a very personal thing (a bit like lingerie), and it would be best if she chose the exact item herself.

Maybe I'm over-thinking it.

Hazel

What about a pandora, or troll bead bracelet, with one or two charms chosen specifically for her by you, then she can add whatever she wants to it herself in the future?

I really like the pandora/troll bead bracelets, Snowy, so that's a really good idea. I'm not sure whether she likes them, so will see if I can find out (I've left it very late).

Thanks for the tip.

Hazel

How about making a day of it together? That way she can choose what she wants (as jewellery is so personal) but you can avoid vouchers. Go somewhere nice, have some nice lunch, maybe visit somewhere after the shopping or whatever. Brighton is a fantastic place for jewellery - so many small places in the Lanes selling new and gorgous 2nd hand stuff - real quality bits and pieces, but not all thousands of pounds! Then whatever she choses will not just remind her of you, but also of a lovely day spent together choosing it?

How about Fraser Hart or Emson Haig at Lakeside.

http://www.fraserhart.co.uk/c-1-jewellery.aspx

http://www.emsonhaig.com/ (They do Links of London & Pandora)

There are some lovely one off Jewellers in Leigh on Sea, but I don't know the actual names of them for you to be able to look them up on-line.

I also like Goldsmiths high street chain jewellers but they are very pricey.

Fish Bros in Chelmsford sometimes has some nice pieces in their window (I walk passed it every day). I'm not sure if Fish Bros are a one off or part of a chain. Can't find a website for them.

Also Lance James in Chelmsford is very nice (they also do Pandora)

http://www.lancejames.co.uk/lance_james_jewellers.php

I probably wouldn't recommend H Samuel for a nice piece.

Hope this helps, reading it back it looks like I know loads of Jewellery shops which is quite strange because I'm not really that into jewellery, it must be all the presents I buy :lol: .

I know you said that you wanted a recommendation near to her house,but local to us,in The Oracle at Reading is my favourite place Azendi.

They have super web site and have some really beautiful pieces at the moment,including charm braceletsin the Links and Troll beads styles.

The fruit collection is lovely.......I got the silver apple with a bite out of it pendant last Christmas.

Sally, thank you for the list of recommendations near my DIL, I@ll take a look at those.

Sarah, I will take a look at the Azendi website as well. That might work, because she could choose and I could go and collect, or she could buy on line.

Thanks everyone for your help, and fo rthhe PMs.