porthos Posted October 18, 2010 Share Posted October 18, 2010 Hello everyone I bought my first lot of chickens in July, an Australorp and 5 Orpingtons and all have been fine but yet to lay anything! Last week the Australorp started limping so I rushed her to the vet who said her leg was not broken but she had probably had an earlier injury or even arthritis. She has now got worse to the extent that she has completely lost the use of her leg and can only get around by flight or hopping. She is eating and drinking but looks so sad and spends most of her day in one place .... What do I do ? .. with the cold weather approaching I am worried she will suffer if she cant get back into the coop for shelter and she has to rely on me putting her in at night. Would it be kinder to call it a day, have her leg removed, or can a disabled Chook survive... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted October 18, 2010 Share Posted October 18, 2010 Sorry that you have to face such an awful quandary For me it always has to be quality of life rather than quantity. I personally could not entertain one of mine having a leg amputated and I am a little surprised that your vet has considered it. 4 legged beasties cope well with 1 amputation but not 2 legged creatures. Have they suggested trying her with pain relief? If she can't get around and do 'chickeny' things like scratching around and foraging, her quality of life may not be that good. My opinions only Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
porthos Posted October 18, 2010 Author Share Posted October 18, 2010 Thanks for the reply ... This is my view as well, she cant do the chook things anymore and just flaps from one area to another. That isn't quality of life even for a chicken. The vet cant really help anymore and the bad leg just gets in her way. He has given her injections but I don't see much hope for her the way it is. So difficult to decide whats best ... Thanks again Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted October 18, 2010 Share Posted October 18, 2010 How long has she been like this for? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
porthos Posted October 18, 2010 Author Share Posted October 18, 2010 She started limping a couple of weeks ago, but I only managed to get her an emergency appointment last week She was well examined and the vet was sure it wasnt broken but since the injections she has gone downhill rapidly with using the leg. The vet has only said it's worth more injections if she improved .. which she clearly hasnt .. the leg looks 'dead' now I'm going to ring the vet again in the morning and see what they suggest. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted October 18, 2010 Share Posted October 18, 2010 I agree with Chucky Mama - may not be what you want to hear, but if one of my girls was in the same position, I;d despatch her. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Powerlady Posted October 19, 2010 Share Posted October 19, 2010 So sorry to read about your hen, but you have to love her enough to know when to let her go ..and I believe that time is now. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
porthos Posted October 19, 2010 Author Share Posted October 19, 2010 Thanks for the replies. I am taking her to the vet again on Thursday and I'll see what they say My local rescue centre say they will have her but only if my vet or their vet says she could cope with the disability .. which I doubt .. but they can't give her specialist care and she would have to integrate into the other rescued chooks. My partner is against having her put down just because the chook is disabled, but then neither of us are able to give her 24/7 attention .. surely its the kindest thing to do ? Will see what is said on Thursday. Thanks all. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted October 19, 2010 Share Posted October 19, 2010 I don't think whether someone has the time to care for her that is the issue. It is how happy and content she will be with this disability. If she can't do the things that fulfil her life as a chicken i.e scratching around and mooching around foraging without extreme pain, her life is fairly miserable. Chickens cope very well with injuries and pain generally and so for one to not be able to 'shake it off' and trundle around, it has to be pretty darned painful. Sorry but I don't agree with preserving life at all costs. If this bird is in extreme pain and you cannot manage that pain for her in order for her to lead a happy life it is just not fair. Of course it is upsetting for you and your husband and this may be swaying your vet's advise. When you see them you need to ask them outright what they feel is the right thing to do - not taking into account your emotions. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Auntie FiFi Posted October 19, 2010 Share Posted October 19, 2010 Very sorry to hear your dilemma. If it helps,I had to make a similar decision at the vets yesterday. We had a 3-year old chicken who had looked a bit off colour for about 10 days, had started a massive moult and then about a week into that she just wouldn't walk. We tried anti inflammatory injection and antibiotics and brought her in for the weekend but she didn't move one bit, although happy to eat treats from our hands she certainly didn't want to move for any food or water at all. Took her back to the vets and she managed to hobble around a bit and looked alert. However, the vet couldn't find any fractures or reason for her lameness but was certain she was in pain around the leg area. Because she had been picked on a bit when she became ill and there was no way she could go back outside to her cube with the others, and because the vet was sure she wouldn't survive the winter anyway, I took the very hard decision to have her put to sleep. It took a lot of debating with the vet but in the end I felt a great relief for her. Good luck tomorrow - try and do what's kindest to her. x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
porthos Posted October 22, 2010 Author Share Posted October 22, 2010 Just to let you know. Did the kindest thing for my poor Chook after consulting the vet last night .. she had really bad Septic Arthritis in her leg and he could'nt see any way she would get better and thought it would soon get infected. she is now playing happily ( I hope ) in the great Chooky Dust Bath in the Sky RIP ONI ... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sage Posted October 22, 2010 Share Posted October 22, 2010 Sending a big hug. You did the right thing. RIP little one. Sage Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted October 22, 2010 Share Posted October 22, 2010 I am sorry, you know it was to kindest thing to do. Well done for being brave and making that difficult decision. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted October 22, 2010 Share Posted October 22, 2010 You have done the right thing. I had one go the same way last year. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted October 22, 2010 Share Posted October 22, 2010 So sorry but was a brave decision Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MarkBevBen Posted October 23, 2010 Share Posted October 23, 2010 So very sorry to hear your news RIP little Oni and hopefully she's playing peacefully with our Lotttie, Cottie and all the other animals xx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cathybc Posted October 24, 2010 Share Posted October 24, 2010 sorry to hear about your firls, Porthos and Fifi. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...