dancing cloud Posted October 19, 2010 Share Posted October 19, 2010 It's been a difficult few days in the DC household-cum-hospital and I've posted about the illnes and injuries separately in the Chicken Clinic (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=70885). My question here is about the girls' behaviour and why the flock would attack and injure an already-hurt hen? Any ideas why the others attacked Little Chicken on Saturday when her leg was first was injured and she was trying to hop away, and why rip out her feathers and peck her so viciously that she was bleeding yesterday when she was trapped? I know once they see blood they keep going, but there was no blood initially, so has anyone any views on what started it? Even Lola was involved, and she and Little Chicken have been best friends since the first day they were adopted I've never seen any animals behave like this towards their own "family" and I'm still rather shocked by it, particularly yesterday's deliberate harming of a trapped and injured Little Chicken. Much as I love all my little girlies, I found it very hard to like them last night, and any/all help in understanding would be much appreciated. I know someone out there will have the answers ... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
beach chick Posted October 19, 2010 Share Posted October 19, 2010 I know they can be so horrible. I think its instinct, once one shows a sign of weakness they will pick on her. from what I've read on here, because chickens are prey animals they will hide any signs of illness/weakness, or else they will become a victim - and if they cant conceal it the others perhaps want to remove the weakling to enhance their own chances of survival? I dont know, only a theory. I do know that my Fairy, who is bottom of the pecking order, is the only one who doesnt like the rabbits, the others take no notice, but she seems almost determined to chase them if she can - fortunately they are very fast. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MarkBevBen Posted October 19, 2010 Share Posted October 19, 2010 Oh DC, I can't offer any advice or theories as very new to chicken keeping but I do tend to agree with what Beach Chick has said about them wanting to hide all signs of illness/weekness. On reflection looking back - we've lost two girls recently - it seems they do hide things like that very well. Hope you're okay and having a better day today and your little one is feeling a bit better too xx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted October 19, 2010 Share Posted October 19, 2010 It is nature at its cruellest, but very typical behaviour. We ascribe human emotions to them, which is a mistake. It is survival of the fittest I'm afraid - and why hens try their best to mask symptoms of ill health so as not to lose their place in the pecking order - and why we often don't pick up on the fact that they are ill till it is too late. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Leicester_H Posted October 19, 2010 Share Posted October 19, 2010 I second what Egluntyne wrote above. I lost a chicken last year because she hid the extent of her illness so well. I have a chicken now that I fear may be a little 'weak' as she allows another to pull out her feathers (quite viscously) but I can't find a way to prevent it and I can't seperate them. She mostly seems OK though. H Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Steve the Gas Posted October 19, 2010 Share Posted October 19, 2010 As said we imo sadly give then human traits/emotions - which is definetly not the case. After all they are the closest living relly of a T.Rex Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
balti Posted October 19, 2010 Share Posted October 19, 2010 I had a similar problem on Sunday - poor chicken has since died so we was poorly then and weak. I was looking out the window and she was rocking backward and forth constantly in the corner whilst another was ripping feathers out of her - she was too weak to do anything - i rushed out to stop it and couldnt grasp why they can be so wicked. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
dancing cloud Posted October 20, 2010 Author Share Posted October 20, 2010 Thank you everyone, I knew you'd have answers. I feel a lot better about all this now I'm over the shock and Little Chicken is definitely on the mend (a lot less cuddly and a lot more demanding ) and it's clear mine are not the only lot of raptors out there. I let Lola into the infirmary for a test "visit" last night and this morning, and she ignored Little Chicken and just went for a look-see and ate the food. I also let in the very wrongly-named Lady, who immediately tried to peck Little Chicken's damaged shoulder , so she got put out again. There's obviously going to have to be very closely-supervised contact initially and Lady may well find herself in the dog-crate as a sin bin if she can't keep her beak to herself! I'm sure I should just be grateful they haven't shown their dinosaur side before and I'd be very happy never to see it again. Many thanks for all your reassurance that they are just acting like ordinary little hens and not turning into chicken Hannibal Lecters ! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...