Dizzy-Deb

Winter feeding to help keep them warm.

And what else can I put in their mash to make it more exciting?! All ideas welcomed.

Merlotti x

I add a handfull of cooked peas and sweetcorn nibs, I buy a bag of the supermarkets 'value' packs. Sometimes I add some chopped left-over cooked cauli, carrots etc. A few mealworms on top and they think they have a banquet! :D

Having read all your comments, I thought I'd give the mash (pellets and hot water) a try with my girls this evening. Oh my goodness....it was a feeding frenzy the likes of which I have never seen before!!! They absolutely LOVED IT! :D

I think I'll give them some at breakfast time too as it's so cold at the moment. Might try adding a sprinkle of poultry spice as an extra treat! Really pleased I tried it, thanks for the advice!

I have just bought some pellets into the house tonight to make some for my girls tomorrow morning too. :D

I like the idea to add a pinch of poulty spice...give it a bit of flavour. At least doing this they are getting the 'proper' food just dished up differently. Will let you know how it goes tomorrow. xx

Sounds lovely - a pot of tea and some mugs too - mine had gone to bed tonight before I got in _ cant see OH make them a porridge, they will have to have spasmodically - more worried re elderly bun who is tucked up with snuggle safe and a sack for warmth. With the chooks and snuggle safe - will it fit under the roosting bars and suspect you take cover off otherwise it will be er pooey :vom:

Hehe! I love it how we're all doing/ thinking exactly the same things! These chickens don't know the lengths us hoomins go to to ensure their comfort and happiness! :P

Alis girls- I'm thinking of doing exactly the same with my snuggle safe pads! I agree, taking the fleecey cover off is a good idea as chicken poo and fleecey fabric would be rather gruesome!!! I've started putting a thin layer of wood shavings in the dropping trays in the Cube. I think the snuggle pads will sit nicely underneath the roosting bars and warm the shavings through. I imagine the shavings will also insulate the pads to a degree and maybe keep them warmer for longer?

Tried them with the warm pellet mash this morning with a bit of kale mixed in and the girls went nuts for it. :D .. but then again they do that for any food I present to them.... just made me feel better that they had had something nice and warming. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Not suprised they love it, mine always have access to dry crumbs but go for porridge in preference whenever they get it. You'll be doing that every morning noe til spring (I will too :oops: )Daft, aren't we! :wink:

I dont mind doing it for them.. I have to prepare a large box of veggies up for the pigs/rabbits so its just a slight addition. The most problem I have is juggling it all out the door and round to the back of the house...could do with a few extra arms especially when got water bottles too. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

For their morning mash, I mix up a bag of wiggly wigglers layers mash with poultry spice and some limestone flour. I store this in a big tub and just get ten scoops out each morning and mix it up with cod liver oil and hot water. They have been getting this over winter for the last three years and they love it. I also move mine onto a higher protein feed over winter to help them plump up after the moult.