Dizzy-Deb

Winter feeding to help keep them warm.

Hi everyone

now its getting colder, what can I give my chickens to help them with the lower temps. ? I have read to give them corn at night as this keeps them warmer while digesting it ?

I am sure someone posted a 'Winter' link but cant find it, but have been rushing as at work and busy getting orders out. If anyone can point me in right direction would appreciate it. :D

I have seen reference to Mash being given... is this just normal pellets, soaked with either cold or warm water. ?

What do you all do to help keep your chickens toasty. Thanks xx

Hi this is my second winter keeping hens. I do feel sorry for them as they spend more hours in the dark than in daylight.

I gave my five a few handfuls of corn just before it got dark which as always they go crazy for. Their usual feed is layers pellets and some greens too but not everyday. The corn i believe gives them energy for the night and to keep them warm.

Lets hope its not a really long winter this year!!

Hi this is my second winter keeping hens. I do feel sorry for them as they spend more hours in the dark than in daylight.

I gave my five a few handfuls of corn just before it got dark which as always they go crazy for. Their usual feed is layers pellets and some greens too but not everyday. The corn i believe gives them energy for the night and to keep them warm.

Lets hope its not a really long winter this year!!

Thanks Jenjins :clap: do you give poultry corn at night or regular corn? :)

This is a great thread for we "first-time-winter-chook-keepers", thanks!!

My problem is WHEN to give them extras during winter as pretty soon its going to be dark long before I get in from work so the chooks will be tucked up in bed. I daren't give them extras at breakfast time, 'cos then they won't eat their "proper" food!? :wall: Any suggestions, please?

My problem is WHEN to give them extras during winter as pretty soon its going to be dark long before I get in from work so the chooks will be tucked up in bed. I daren't give them extras at breakfast time, 'cos then they won't eat their "proper" food!? :wall: Any suggestions, please?

Thats what I will be facing too Bramble, soon it will be dark when I get home and the chooks will have gone to bed. I always give their treats at tea time but obviously will be too late soon.... so will have no choice but to give in the morning time. I dare say could give them a warm mash of pellets ? with some goodies put in. Hoping that will be ok.

I'm ashamed to say :oops::oops: that my chooks already have a warm pellet/mash crumb every morning :oops::whistle: which they absolutely love, I will definitely be adding some extras to that as it gets colder. (Trouble is, it'll soon be dark before I go to work, so I hope the porridge will stay warmish til they get up - maybe I'll have to get them a flask ...)

I'm ashamed to say :oops::oops: that my chooks already have a warm pellet/mash crumb every morning :oops::whistle: which they absolutely love, I will definitely be adding some extras to that as it gets colder. (Trouble is, it'll soon be dark before I go to work, so I hope the porridge will stay warmish til they get up - maybe I'll have to get them a flask ...)

how do you make yours up Bramble. :D xx

I fill a "galley pot" with pellets or ex-batt crumbs. Sometimes I add some grit, or limestone flour (if there's been a softy laid) or garlic, etc then leave it to 'marinate' in warm water 'til it's mush (usually leave it to soak whilst I walk the dog - her breakfast is cooling at the same time) then serve!! I did make them "proper" oat porridge (with water) to go to bed with on Saturday, which went down very nicely!! You can add loads of extras to pellet/crumb mush or to porridge - mealworms and sunflower seeds being particular favourites (for the chooks, I mean, not for me). But just pellet mush made with water goes down very well too! Do think they'd struggle to get the lid off a flask though ... ?

Now dont laugh but last winter i used a cat feeder which worked on a timer to give the girls corn when i wasnt at home early enough.

Now im on a work break ( told OH for a few months but gonna hang it out as long as poss ) they get it as i put them back into the run, plus readybrek in the mornings. We all share it out, some for me , some for the chooks and some for the dog.

Not in the same dish. Erk the thought of it.

I fill a "galley pot" with pellets or ex-batt crumbs. Sometimes I add some grit, or limestone flour (if there's been a softy laid) or garlic, etc then leave it to 'marinate' in warm water 'til it's mush (usually leave it to soak whilst I walk the dog - her breakfast is cooling at the same time) then serve!! I did make them "proper" oat porridge (with water) to go to bed with on Saturday, which went down very nicely!! You can add loads of extras to pellet/crumb mush or to porridge - mealworms and sunflower seeds being particular favourites (for the chooks, I mean, not for me). But just pellet mush made with water goes down very well too! Do think they'd struggle to get the lid off a flask though ... ?

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Oh Bramble you're making me giggle here :lol:

Now dont laugh but last winter i used a cat feeder which worked on a timer to give the girls corn when i wasnt at home early enough.

Now im on a work break ( told OH for a few months but gonna hang it out as long as poss ) they get it as i put them back into the run, plus readybrek in the mornings. We all share it out, some for me , some for the chooks and some for the dog. Not in the same dish. Erk the thought of it.

:lol::lol::lol:

Hear hear Bramble! :clap::clap::clap::D

We give ours a hanful of Super Mixed corn Allen & Paige and some meal worms just before bed, they get this winter and summer alike, but extra rations in the winter, we also add lifeguard to their water.

Same here - they have higher body temperatures than us, so don't need keeping warm. If it gets below zero at night, then I shut the cube door, but that's as far as it goes.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Oh Bramble you're making me giggle here :lol:

I can't think why!!!? I'm a tad ashamed of admitting to all this nonsense with chicken food :wink::oops: Whatever happened to my resolve to say, "these are ex-battery hens, they are not pets, I will NOT get attached to them"? :wall::whistle:

(I do still think they'd struggle with the flask though I do like the idea of the timed cat feeder thingamy .... :whistle: )

Our chooks diet last winter was very healthy - pellets everyday and some greens every few days hung up before going to work. No treats or anything! As with others, they are asleep when we get home from work - and don't enjoy been woken up as I hunt under them for that days eggs!

Come weekends, they get are few extra treats to make up for it all - and variations on warm mash (pellets and hot water) features quite heavily.

Its interesting to see the different opinions of what people do. :D

I tried mine with some 'oaty mealworm mash' last night while I was bailing out the WIR and the girls loved it. :D (but then again I havent found anything they dont like yet) :D

Will get some ex-bat crumbs soon (will be needing some anyway soon) and try them with that mixed in with pellets too see how we get on.

I like the idea of the timed cat thingie too :D

Hi everyone

now its getting colder, what can I give my chickens to help them with the lower temps. ? I have read to give them corn at night as this keeps them warmer while digesting it ?

I am sure someone posted a 'Winter' link but cant find it, but have been rushing as at work and busy getting orders out. If anyone can point me in right direction would appreciate it. :D

I have seen reference to Mash being given... is this just normal pellets, soaked with either cold or warm water. ?

What do you all do to help keep your chickens toasty. Thanks xx

What about poultry spice? ive been mixing that in with food to keep them warmer.

Not sure if I'm doing the right thing either but:

Remember it will be lighter in the mornings soon so they'll be up and ready for their morning porridge!

I'm currently mixing my new exbatts crumb with hot water for a morning porridge. I figured it was their food after all ,so the more of it they got the better, even if it was mixed with water.

I've also hung a little past it's best cabbage from the garden, but they're not convinced its a treat yet.

I have the same problem that they'll be asleep - on top of each other if last night is anything to go on and in the next box, not the roosting bars! - when i get home. I too like the idea of corn in a timed feeder, just as a little extra before bedtime!

They have all laid regularly since getting home on Sat om, but we had no eggs at all today - not one? Could it be they're adjusting to their new regime? Shorter daylight hours - especially for exbatts? New food?

And what else can I put in their mash to make it more exciting?! All ideas welcomed.

Merlotti x