sari

Garden Bird Nerd....anyone else??

I'll have to get some mealies, as there is a Robin who comes to peek when I'm down at the hens...I've go some lovely photo's of a parent and child woodpecker on my peanut feeder, I'll have to dig them out...I've been birding today, and seen a gorgeous sparrowhawk hunting across the back field....

It sure is lovely to see the photos - especially that cute wee robin!

We get quite a few birds but the feeders are a little way from the house so I have to get the binocs out to see them. Loads of blue tits; occasional flocks of long tailed tits; nuthatches and woodpeckers. We also get dozens of pheasants. Occasionally they will get into the run and then they panic when I come down and can't remember how to fly out.

At my sisters, there were loads of redwings which I have never noticed before. They were going made for the berries in her garden.

It's interesting reading what birds you all get in your gardens as I've never seen some of them in my neck of the woods ('scuse the pun), I've never seen a field Fare or waxwing in my garden (And certainly don't get Kites near me either) but do get gold finches on my niger feeder, lots of starlings, pigeons, collard doves, robins, blackbirds, blue tits and the occasional sparrow.

On a dog walk just before Christmas I was very chuffed to see a Bittern! I've researched that although more common to see one this time of year due to frozen regular feeding sites, there only 50-75 males found in the breeding season in the whole of the UK (I assume they count males because their booming call is easier to spot than the actual bird). The dogs spooked it and flew across the river, landed in some reeds and stood with its sharp beak pointing straight up to the sky. I emailed a few sites and got a few replies from various bird recorders including the BTO Atlas project, so that's quite encouraging that I've helped in some way to record these amazing birds.

Wish I'd got a photo now.

Well..the huge BAG :shock: of mealies arrived yesterday, and the hens love them...to the point of aggression!! I had my bum pecked furiously when I turned around to put the lid back on the tub I decanted them into ( I knew that Celebrations tub would come in handy!) I sprinkled a few on the ground for the Robin....so lets see how it goes!!