sari

Garden Bird Nerd....anyone else??

I'm a Bird geek..I'm not a Twitcher, as I won't travel :mrgreen: but love the birds in my garden, and do go to RSPB sites on holiday etc.

So I've just been down to have a chhok chat, and give some corn, and have had to run back up the garden, as I thought I'd seen a pair of migrating yellow browed warblers in the trees. Turns out I was a little bit over excited, and I think they were just juvenile gold crests :oops: It was a mistake any over keen bird nerd could make *blushes scarlet*

Is any one else a bird geek?? I have dents on my forearms from the long hours propped on my kitchen windowsill....my garden backs onto farmland, and we have a brook...so have a mini Eden.... :mrgreen:

Please don't let me be the only one....

I spend too much time watching the garden birds & figuring out how they all interact. Mine is an urban garden but I'm quite pleased with the variety we have.

I'd rather watch them than TV.

Me too....I am getting a bit worried about my green finches, as they have disappeared. It might be this Trich virus... :(

I love my garden birds - we feed them all year - this is my back garden view of the feeders a couple of years ago I think

this was lovely.....I love my birds, and just HAVE to feed them....I have a really cheap stick on window feeder, like a trough, and if I ever forget to fill it, they peck on the window....usually the great tits...

I have a pair of binoculars on the kitchen windowsill and 'twitch' at the birds on the feeder at the end of the garden whilst waiting for the kettle to boil. A spotted woodpecker landed on the garden swing a few weeks ago! :shock: My Dads house is my favourite - he has huge picture windows with a bird feeder right outside - you can sit and watch them a couple of feet from your eyes! And he gets alsorts visiting - fabulous!

I'm in Leics too, between Leicestser and Melton Mowbray...We are very lucky, as we have such a variety of birds, I think its the habitat...I get reed buntings in the winter months, feeding off the feeder. I could ramble on...but shall restrain myslef :oops:

I can't believe what I just saw, the rose bush where the House Sparrows live was in utter chaos and they were making an awful racket. Then out pops what I think was a Sparrow Hawk. It was small, red front and dark grey back. Utterly beautiful but a bit cheeky, trying to eat my sparrows. That must confirm though that the Sparrow colony is thriving.

Very excited at seeing it sitting on the garden fence, Christmas came early.

Even though they're bigger, my chickens were hiding in their coop, even though they live in a covered run.

Just checked and I'm sure this it:

sparrowhawk

not sure I'm a bird nerd, but I do love feeding them and seeing them around. we seem to have an awful lot of pigeon/dove type things, the ubiquitous starlings, crows/rook/jackdaw type jobs, and seagulls - of course. however we also have sparrows, various types of tit and finch, blackbirds and thrushes, both types of woodpecker, and occasionally even a sparrowhawk visits us.

I'd love to know more about them and have the patience to go birdwatching....

not sure I'm a bird nerd, but I do love feeding them and seeing them around. we seem to have an awful lot of pigeon/dove type things, the ubiquitous starlings, crows/rook/jackdaw type jobs, and seagulls - of course. however we also have sparrows, various types of tit and finch, blackbirds and thrushes, both types of woodpecker, and occasionally even a sparrowhawk visits us.

I'd love to know more about them and have the patience to go birdwatching....

I'm not bothered about siiting for hours utside, but am happy to spot on a walk etc...for a while I did feel like I was fattening up sparrows for the sparrow hawk, but she's so beautiful....

I am boiling up peelings, rice bread mixed in with seeds, sunflower heards and malted barley for the ground feeding birds and put out every day on trays to stop the rats coming in as we had to put the feeders where they could not reach from the branches and so the blackbirds cannot get the feeders - we have a brambling today and its fabulous to see it - not see many of those around here especially in the garden. The blackairds are tooting at me each morning to put out the food and I have had a couple of starlings but well live and let live eh! There are about 20 constantly feeding at the front gate now and its great.

I love the garden birds. We have lots eating the holly berries. A few robins hang round the garden & one is very cheeky when I'm doing the eglus each day. It pinches bits of shredded paper & oats. :lol:

We've got these thrush like birds with pale red chests at the moment. God knows what they are, but I like watching them a lot.

I like the doves that are often roosting in the trees at the front of the house - they had babies last Spring. Lovely!

I also love the Red Kites we see, when we are in Devils Bridge - so big but beautiful when they glide over mountains.

My favourite birds in the garden have to be the cute sparrows. Their legs are so thin - they make me laugh.

Emma.x

I'm an aspiring garden bird nerd :lol: I've been meaning to get some bird feeders since DH and I moved into our current house a year and a half ago, but never got round to it. Spotted a beautiful bird feeder stand on sale a week or so ago which I just couldn't resist, so I now have it set up in my garden with every tempting kind of bird food imaginable on offer. I know it will take a little while before we see any birds starting to use it, so I have to be patient (not my strong point) but I'm looking forward to seeing what birds we might attract. In the summer we are lucky that we get lots and lots of swallows round our way, so I'm now wondering if there's anything we can plant to attract the insects that they like to eat?

Not garden birds of course, but we regularly see red kites and buzzards in our area which are always magnificent to watch.

We've got these thrush like birds with pale red chests at the moment. God knows what they are, but I like watching them a lot.

Emma.x

I bet they're Field Fares.

Unfortunately we get nowhere near as many birds in the garden as we used to although we get more since we've had the chickens as the local cats stay away. I'm sure it's due to all the extra houses and flats that have been built in the local areas :( We have a couple of robins, a wren, blackbirds, starlings and blue tits visit. Very rare that we see any sparrows now :(

I've always got bird seed, nuts and water as well for them :(

Sounds like Fieldfares to me..we;ve had a big mixed flock of FF, thrushes, black birds..and a couple of redwings, eating all the windfall apples. It makes a right mess, but I love to see them,,,,saw a buzzard across the back field today, too as well as my waxwings....so this nerd will sleep happy tonight!!

I too am a bit of a garden bird nerd :oops: . I love to watch them at the bird feeders, my all time favourites are the long tailed tits they are just soooooooo cute :D .

2-3 years ago I started giving my girls a few live mealworms on an evening as a treat and was spotted by a little robin. He (I like to think of him as a he :D ) started to come to the hen house when I let the girls out to free range and when I put them to bed :roll: . I somehow managed to gain his trust and imagine the feeling I got when.............................................

MOV00283.jpg

My first thought was OMG how cool is that :D:dance: ,

And now he seems to be part of the family, he even lets my niece feed him (look to the left on my sleeve)................................

Robinwantsfeeding.jpg

If I don't notice he's there, he comes and flaps around my head as if to say "Oi! I'm here" :lol:

He isn't dependent though, as he only comes in winter when there is a lack of food, and spring when he has chicks to feed.

It will be a sad day when old age or predation take him :cry: , so i will just enjoy it for now :D:D .

Have to admit I don't know a huge amount about birds but I love watching them in the garden, my nan feeds them and we get loads especially over these last couple of weeks as the weather has been pretty bad they have been extra hungry!

Not great photos but he's some I have taken over the last few weeks,

163725_477160406490_639026490_6526576_5468362_n.jpg

156689_473276591490_639026490_6452302_1564952_n.jpg

154227_460332926490_639026490_6248521_1703705_n.jpg

151078_460332851490_639026490_6248519_4102967_n.jpg

150076_460332976490_639026490_6248522_5410799_n.jpg

149870_460332736490_639026490_6248516_6200847_n.jpg

77144_460333161490_639026490_6248526_4921346_n.jpg

76635_460333101490_639026490_6248525_6108377_n.jpg

65401_473277091490_639026490_6452311_2669154_n.jpg

63507_473277236490_639026490_6452313_1482233_n.jpg

Lovely photos everyone :) Mine aren't quite such clear photos but here are a few snaps of our Robin that has been visiting our garden for the last couple of years, he is very tame and vey very cute.

DSC05399.jpg

DSC05093.jpg

And here are some of a cheeky pigeon! We bought the dome covered feeder as the pigeons were stealing all food from the open feeders, however this fat chap showed us that he was a bit cleverer than we thought! :D

DSC05236.jpg

DSC05234.jpg

DSC05239.jpg

So had to re-arrange the feeders to out fox him - felt a little bit guilty but he was one very fat pigeon :lol:

DSC05241.jpg