Dizzy-Deb

Suggestions, what to use on slabs to clean them up?

Howdee all

Had a big clean up today in my WIR, now its all frozen out after the big freeze. :D

I need suggestions as to what to clean the slabs with or best method to for next time. Even though poo pick etc, there is a layer of yuck on the slabs, have tried to scape off but not happy and need suggestions of better way.

I would hose it down if could get the hose up to it but too far from tap, so wondering if buckets of water would be best way with some kind of disinfectant in, and a good old scrub.

What could I used as a disinfectant/cleaner ? hubby suggested jeyes fluid but sure have read thats harmful to chooks.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks xx

I've found plain old pine disinfectant from the supermarket works well if used with very very hot water. A proper poultry/agricultural disinfectant used in a final rinse will kill the nasties

As a rule any disinfectant that turns white and cloudy when added to water is harmful for chickens so if using Jeyes make sure your rinse really well, make sure it doesnt puddle and keep the chooks away till its dry

A metal s"Ooops, word censored!"er works better than a plastic one

A bucket brush or stiff broom also works quite well

After the initial sweep up, I use a s"Ooops, word censored!"er, it loosens everything and then I sweep that up aswell.

I then get an old fashioned mop and bucket (used solely for the chooks) and hot water mixed with the relevant amount of Virkon powder, Defra approved.

When dryish, I sprinkle the floor with Stalosan, then put the new Bedmax down.

Just one word of caution, make sure that the mop hasn't shed any of its strings, as one of my chooks thought she had an enormous worm, resulting in a chase around the garden :lol: but could have been nasty.

Many thanks all for advice. :D

The s"Ooops, word censored!"er is just what I need, was thinking along those lines of finding something like that so going to order one, its going to be real handy. Trying to s"Ooops, word censored!"e up for a plastic handbrush pan just doesnt work. :lol:

I already use stalosan, but going to look at virkon too, thanks for tip on that one. Dont want to use anything thats poisonous for the girls.

Never though of mopping, that sounds like a great idea, especially as to haul everything up stepladders, and up to top garden so mopping may be better than up and down with bucket fuls of water.

Great idea, thanks again, much appreciated. xxxx