pagesguineas

Rabbit set-up inspiration - UPDATE! Photos of new setup!

Just had a look on the forums and found loads of chicken run/coop inspiration threads but can't find any rabbit ones! I'm just about to buy a wendy house for my two and would love to see how others keep their buns so I can gain some inspiration for how to do the run and inside the house :) I'd love to introduce levels within the house but will the rabbits fall off and hurt their-selves if I don't put little edges on the raised platform? (It will only be about 2ft high)

Anyway, I'd love pictures of all your bunny set-ups, and as soon as I've put the house up and sorted out the run and everything I will be sure to upload the pictures and cost the entire project FYI.

Catherine (Misty (brown white rabbit) and Sweep (brown rabbit) )

Edited by Guest

Hi,

Lillybetbabs, many thanks for that suggestion, there are many very impressive and inspiring setups on those threads!

I have since bought a wendy house on eBay and in 5 or so weeks when I'm back from uni, me and dad will be re-staining, assembling, laying a vinyl floor down inside and doing the run (haven't decided how yet!). Due to the increased space I am looking at ways to enhance their life! At the moment their hayrack is a standard size one, and it is filled up to the brim in the morning and all the hay is gone by lunchtime, but as everyone works it doesn't get refilled til the evening :(. I have been looking for larger hayracks but they don't seem to exist! Therefore has anyone resorted to using hay nets for horses, and if so have the buns chewed through the net as its only rope?

Many thanks all!

Catherine x

Gave up trying to add photos to the post so have created a photobucket account and uploaded all of them onto it! Link below :D

http://s1110.photobucket.com/albums/h460/catherinepage09/Misty%20and%20Sweep%20and%20their%20new%20home/

We have finally finished the Wendy house conversion and Misty and Sweep moved in a few days ago! :)

Put a breakdown of costs if anyone is interested - before I looked into it I'd always wanted to do this but was convinced that it was too expensive!

Wendy house 3ft x 5ft inside with a 2ft x 5ft verandah - £70 from eBay. Can get them cheaper but this one is top quality

Run is custom made 3ft x 6ft and was £38 - I thought this was a bargain!

Roof of run is green corrugated bitumin and was £20 including fixings in Wickes - totally worth it though!

Balcony and ramp made out of bargain bin in B and Q, about 50p!

Flooring in vinyl tiles and cost £5 in Poundland!

Catflap £3.50 secondhand

Everything else (carpet, mesh, wicker chair, external stain and all toys!) were just things we had lying around.

All in all cost just under £140, which ironically is £10 less than we originally spent on the old chicken coop for them, which was relatively tiny and is ready for s"Ooops, word censored!" now it was so flimsy - we live and learn!

We are going to add another run the other side going onto the grass and re-felt the roof so I will add pictures when those bits are done in the next few weeks :)

Catherine, Misty and Sweep :)

Edited by Guest

Hopefully the new photobucket link should work and you'll be able to see them!

The branches got home fine - put one of the biggest ones in their run this morning and they ran over straightaway and spent ages chewing it - just looked and they've stripped and eaten most of the bark and smaller twigs off it now :D. At this rate they'll be getting through the whole lot by the end of the month!! Again - many thanks for them.

I'm also really happy today as I took the plunge and started training them to use the catflap as up until now it's been tied open - took Sweep about 20 seconds to work out that it still opened! He was straight through and eating the yummy food I placed on the otherside. Misty on the otherhand looked very confused looking through the flap for a few minutes, but I think the food was too tempting and through she was! They're still a little confused by it I think but I'm sure they will get more and more confident in using it :)

Now to put another flap in and creating their grass run ready for the nice weather we are expecting...how exciting :)

I love your set up - lucky lucky bunnies! I hadn't realised that you'd put a cat flap in - well done the buns for working it out (with a little help from you :wink: ). I've often wondered whether mine might figure out our cats' flap which is there for the cats' use. It would be easier for us if they did :D