Henergy Posted March 11, 2011 Share Posted March 11, 2011 So Its day 6 of chicken keeping & 2 more eggs My friend asked me yesterday were they noisy - no I said, haven't heard a peep. Anyway was just sitting in my front room when I heard an almightly squawking noise. When out to find one hen squawking her little lungs out. Had a good look around & couldn't see any problems. So I'm guessing she has just tried out her lungs !!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chortle Chook Posted March 11, 2011 Share Posted March 11, 2011 My hens seem to make one heck of a din if they are upset when something that they deem 'untoward' has happened. This includes -me putting a broody hen out to get corn and then her finding that her egg has vanished when she gets back -a hawk frightening the doves who then flap in a cloud off the roof of the hen house -next door's cat walking along the fence -next door having a visitor they don't recognise. It all starts with one hen doing a 'Beep, BARP, Beep, BARP' and then others take up the cry. They do stop when I emerge and tell them to be quiet. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Reikiranf Posted March 11, 2011 Share Posted March 11, 2011 My girls make a noise when laying or when spooked, although on a couple of occasions they've made an awful noise and I've gone out to find nothing untoward, only for a fox or strange cat to appear in the garden a few minutes later so their danger detectors are obviously highly sensitive & they must have been aware of their presence whilst they were in the neighbours gardens Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Luvachicken Posted March 11, 2011 Share Posted March 11, 2011 My girls made some sort of din when something seemed to frighten them. I too looked around but saw nothing and then a few minutes later 8 swans flew over and the girls must have heard their wings beating long before they arrived. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gongladosh Posted March 12, 2011 Share Posted March 12, 2011 Even the quietest hens can turn up the volume. Hens' sight at night is much worse than ours but in the light is much better, they spot things in trees that we just can't see. Ours went mad one time last year and it was only 5 mins later we saw a heron stood on the branch of a tree... they were l o u d Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sam Posted March 12, 2011 Share Posted March 12, 2011 I read this thread yesterday thinking 'hmm, never heard mine make a noise' And then this morning at 7.30, I heard a loud honk I assumed it was a good flying over, but it wasn't getting louder / quicker so I opened my window and it was Marmite!! Rushed out there and let them out of their 2m run and into their WIR. Shes quite now, we don't get foxes( ) so I'm baffled why she made it!! Do you think its because their 2m run is too small for 4 hybrids? They are in their 2m run from when they get up to around 8am, then in their 4m x 2m WIR all day. Do you think I need to let them into the wir earlier? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
percy049 Posted March 12, 2011 Share Posted March 12, 2011 Someone decided to sqwark the place down this morning . It sounded more like an egg laying noise (only louder), even though her comb/wattles are still small, she isn't crouching and her rear is still small . Also, no sign of predators Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Kaysie86 Posted March 12, 2011 Share Posted March 12, 2011 My girls like to make themselves heard every morning... I live in a quiet street. They do it for some attention, although at 6am in the dark you do have to wonder why! I hate it when they do it at weekends, I feel terrible for the neighbours Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mincepies Posted March 12, 2011 Share Posted March 12, 2011 Sometimes mine get into a tizz for no apparent reason, and it's usually instigated by Tootsie the cockerel. He also makes an unearthly noise sometimes, a bit like a cross between a gargle and a scream! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chortle Chook Posted March 14, 2011 Share Posted March 14, 2011 Mincpies, I too have a gargalling cockerel. The neighbours laughed a lot when he first started to 'crow' . He has never got into the full cock-a-doodle-do thing and always misses off all of the 'do' and part of the 'doodle' 5am - I think your chooks have you in training and if you don't watch out your Omlet name will become too real for comfort Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
kevf1 Posted March 14, 2011 Share Posted March 14, 2011 my apennzeller seems to run around squawking for ages before she lays and egg keeps popping in and out of the cube... its no a bok bok either... had to wait tuntil she went in the cube yesterday.. and shuit the door she eventually calmed down and laid her egg.... then she's ok... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chortle Chook Posted March 14, 2011 Share Posted March 14, 2011 Apennzellers are so pretty but I've heard other people say they are totally nuts. In one book I read the appennzeller hen managed to fix an egg of hers to the garden fence with a bit of poo Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sam Posted March 14, 2011 Share Posted March 14, 2011 5am - I think your chooks have you in training and if you don't watch out your Omlet name will become too real for comfort I know!! I'm not sure whether to leave her making her noise, or to let her out! Chose to ignore her today because I also think she is blackmailing me!! She laid me a double yolker today though, so I'll let her off today Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
kevf1 Posted March 14, 2011 Share Posted March 14, 2011 Apennzellers are so pretty but I've heard other people say they are totally nuts. In one book I read the appennzeller hen managed to fix an egg of hers to the garden fence with a bit of poo ohhh yes suzy (the punk rocker) is a nutter.... attention seeking i reckon.. not like tina mt barnie.. she is the only one who will sit on my rm when i hold her the approved way.. calm as anything Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...