Cambridge chiks Posted March 14, 2011 Share Posted March 14, 2011 We have 2 lovely 3 year old chickens . Last week I bought 2 lovely new chickens . But they are very young, 17 weeks. I have been following the advice on this forum about keeping them separate but able to see each other, and letting them free range together. They have generally been ok, although the old 2 have a good go at pecking and chasing the newbies when they are near. The newbies are also quite a handful, won't let you pick them up and so small and flighty they fly up and sit on the 6ft fence, and generally get everywhere! I have tried letting them all sleep together, it seemed to be ok but there was pecking again when they got up in the morning. The problem comes because we are going away for a week now and have a chicken sitter coming just once a day. Should I still keep them separated while we are away- or should I throw caution to the wind and let them in together? Also should I ask her to free range them all together or just new pair for 1 hr and then old pair for 1hr- or keep the new ones in all the time! We are leaving the day after tomorrow and my husband thinks we should take them back to the farmer... as I try and keep the newbies out of the veg patch I am beginning to think he has a point... Help! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted March 14, 2011 Share Posted March 14, 2011 If I were you I would leave them to it,go on holiday,forget about them & enjoy yourselves. Anything that needs sorting can be sorted when you get back. I would forget free ranging too for the moment,especially if the younger hens are flighty. A week confined to barracks will do them all no harm at all. I might also suggest that next time you add to your flock do it when you are going to be around for at least 8 weeks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tweety Posted March 14, 2011 Share Posted March 14, 2011 I would keep them separate and, as Cinnamon says, forget the FR while you are away. You don't want to spend your holiday worrying about your chickens, and they will be fine for one week. Have a great time! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chortle Chook Posted March 14, 2011 Share Posted March 14, 2011 I agree. A week in Chook borstal will do them no harm at all, especially if your kind chicken sitter could hang up the odd cabbage stump for entertainment. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickyhazel Posted March 14, 2011 Share Posted March 14, 2011 I agree to keep them separate and not to fr the new chooks, but I would keep fr-ing the old chooks while you are away Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
percy049 Posted March 14, 2011 Share Posted March 14, 2011 Sounds like my ex-chicken situation! introducing 2 17 week old hens to 2 3 year old hens! It would be best to keep them apart I think Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...