midori Posted March 19, 2011 Share Posted March 19, 2011 I am gutted and extremely upset, it's entirely my fault, but a mistake I certainly won't be making again. My husband had to go to hospital yesterday as he has hurt his leg very badly and can't bend his knee. In all the drama, we forgot to close the henhouse door but obviously hadn't realised. I woke up at 4am to an awful row (hens) coming from the back garden and the dogs barking like mad. I leapt out of bed and got my dressing gown and slipper on and ran downstairs. As soon as I got in the kitchen I could see Mable on the step by the back door. I was terrified. I opened the door and picked her up, she was uninjured but very shaken. Marjorie, one of the Buff Sussex was nearby and lots of her feathers were on the floor but she seemed unhurt. We have a fence that the hens can get through and a gate seperating the patio from the lawn. i went through the gate and could immediately see Magda, our huge and beautiful cochin girl by the fence. It was obvious she was dead. I was too scared to look in the henhouse and still holding Mable. Luckily my husband had managed to hobble downstairs after me and came out. Three of the other girls were on their perch seemingly un flustered by it all, but sadly Lulu, our Araucana Bantam was missing and lots of her feathers were in next door's garden. We think whatever took them must have struggled to get Madga out of the garden due to her size and so went back for one of the others and Lulu was the easy target. We'[ve had her a year and she just laid her firs two beautiful blue eggs for us. She's my son's and he's devastated. I think Mable and Marjorie were saved by the fact we have a glass back door and they dogs were barking madly at it. (the hens don't worry about our dogs) Luckily, all the girls seem fine today, thank goodness! I'm not sure if it was a fox or badger that came to be honest. We have lots of badgers round here but don't often see foxes, although there are some. I did think fox, but we have three foot fences between us and our neighbours and our next door neighbours said whatever it was had dug under their fence into the garden the other side. Surely a fox would jump a 3ft fence? Either way, I am furious with myself and the hens are now in a hen fort knox which we have spend the day building. They usually free range during the day, but I just don't want to risk it any more as I know if it was a fox it'll be back, so I'll only let them out if I am in the garden now. I can't believe I made such a stupid mistake and am furious with myself. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Luvachicken Posted March 19, 2011 Share Posted March 19, 2011 So sorry to read what has happened..... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Patricia W Posted March 19, 2011 Share Posted March 19, 2011 I'm so, so sorry, but don't beat yourself up. Just think of the good times you had with them all Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sam Posted March 19, 2011 Share Posted March 19, 2011 You shouldn't blame yourself, in the same situation I'm sure many would also forget. So sorry to hear about your girls Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
scarlettohara Posted March 19, 2011 Share Posted March 19, 2011 I'm so sorry I've done something much worse today and I'm sitting here in tears. I have been out all day with friends and forget to leave the windows open in my conservatory where my guinea pigs are, my son left the hot water on constant and it got very hot in there and I found them both dead from heatstroke. I would never harm an animal and I am so sad that I caused such an awful death for them. I am beside myself. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted March 19, 2011 Share Posted March 19, 2011 So sorry to hear both of your news try not to beat yourselves up about it. It is obvious that you love your animals and would never knowingly put them at risk. If only we could turn the clock back sometimes Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
WitchHazel Posted March 20, 2011 Share Posted March 20, 2011 I'm so sorry to hear about your girls. It's a horrible thing to happen, but these things *do* happen. It's not like you are always leaving the door open - it was just a mistake. It probably was a fox. I think they'd dig rather than jump, especially if the ground is soft. On the positive side, becasue of your dogs barking and because you acted so quickly, you've still got your other girls. to you and your family. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
blueandwhite Posted March 20, 2011 Share Posted March 20, 2011 Sad for both of your losses, but like everyone else said these things do happen. Hope your husband makes a speedy recovery too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...