chicken bark

Hen off her legs! sad update

I have a hybrid hen that I got as POL a year ago. She has never laid an egg. :roll:

However I found her on the floor of the coop this morning. She is possibly breathing a little harder than usual although I'm not certain. I felt her crop, abdomen etc and she seems fine in those regards and no noticeable weight loss. I have moved her into a cat box with a dog run attached and it was then I noticed that she cannot stand up. She has never let me handle her as she has never crouched for me etc. Her wings still flap but she just stays in the position I put her.

I moved one of her legs and she still has feeling in it just isn't standing so has spent all night sitting in poo. :(:(

So help needed please - I'm thinking possibly Mareks so that would be the end of her I suppose - but I don't want to jump to conclusions.

Edited by Guest

To be brutally honest is doesn't sound at all good. It is very remotely possible that there is an egg on the way pushing on nerves, but I doubt it. I would be surprised if she will make a full recovery. The long Bank Holiday is around the corner so I would advise you to make a decision about her future today. Sorry I can't be any more positive.

You are right - it really doesn't look hopeful. In fact she is worse now then when I first posted. In a few weeks I shall be visiting someone who will show me how to cull (sorry not a nice topic but trying to be pragmatic), unfortunately that does not help me now. She is separated from the others and will go to a good avian vet as soon as surgery opens this afternoon. :cry:

Sounds similar to a girl we lost last week. She was fine one day, and the next she was sleepy, and a bit lame. That night her breathing got worse, and she went to chicken heaven the next day. Hopefully yours will make a recovery.

Its horrible when they are ill isnt it.