Leicester_H

Any Velux Windows experts out there ?

Hi

In our loft conversion we have some (top hung) Velux windows (GHL M06).

They stay open in 3 positions - BUT if there is a strong gust of wind they sometimes fly open and hit the stops - which I don't like.

Just wondered if there are any retro fit 'lock' or devices to prevent this ??

Thanks, H

I never thought of this happening :shock: Are older windows more prone to this?

Just realised, mine are centre hinged (if that's the right terminology :lol: ) although I want some windows in the loft soon and they might have to be top hinged :?

Ohh, you learn some stuff on here :lol:

horizontal centre pivot windows do tend to work lose thats why they have grub screws to tighten them up but over the years they get painted over and are nigh on impossible to adjust.

vertical centre pivot windows nearly always have either a peg stay or a sliding cam stay that act as a restrictor some HCP do some don't

OK, here's a question, we have some ancient single glazed velux style windows in our loft conversion, which we'd eventually like to have replaced with proper velux double glazed windows (with BLINDS as it gets the dawn sun really badly). How difficult would that be?

OK, here's a question, we have some ancient single glazed velux style windows in our loft conversion, which we'd eventually like to have replaced with proper velux double glazed windows (with BLINDS as it gets the dawn sun really badly). How difficult would that be?

thier not hard to fit once your got the opening through the roof prepared if I remember right there are only 4 fixing brackets per frame

a lot will depend on what size the existing opening is compered to the sizes the the velux come in. Then there will be some of the roof tile that will need to be removed A;- to remove the old frame and flashings, B;-to fit the new frame and flashings. once the old frame is out you shouldn't need to get on the roof all the work can be done through the roof opening

Hazel, all my windows, including the Veluxes have restrictors on them - that way I can leave them open without them swinging off the hinges or anyone getting in. You can get them form any hardware store and they can be de-activated with the key.

Thanks - I have been looking at restrictors.

Are your's top hung or centre hung ? (Velux do a restrictor for centre but not top hung - so I was wondering if there was some subtle difference/problem in adding a restrictor to a top hung window??)

H

Mine are top hung Hazel, and I just used bog standard restrictors from Screwfix.

Aunty e; I'd recommend getting an expert to fit them - not casting nasturtiums on your DIY skills here - but I had a builder fit my new ones and then (to cut a long story short) had to get a proper roofer in to replace them and ended up with a court battle to get my money back :roll:

Aunty e; I'd recommend getting an expert to fit them - not casting nasturtiums on your DIY skills here - but I had a builder fit my new ones and then (to cut a long story short) had to get a proper roofer in to replace them and ended up with a court battle to get my money back :roll:

No way would I be doing it! I was just wondering if it was going to be hideously expensive :) We're thinking of having our loft extension extended in a couple of years to fit a little shower room in, so would probably have it done then.

That sort of improvement would add value to your house, so a worthwhile investment. If you are installing rooflight windows, you will need to check if your property (if old) is in a conservation area; then get permission to install them. You'd also need to consult the building regs dept at your local council.