Dizzy-Deb

Starting to get irritated myself :(

My chickens are just so blooming noisy at the moment. No quiet bok bok bokking.. but fairly loud warrrrrrkkkk warrrrkkkking. There are no cats or anything else about so cant see why they are kicking up such a fuss.

Its been pretty constant since 6.30am today. :evil:

Its really starting to irritate me so dread what the neighbours are feeling.

I really can see will get complaints if they keep this up.

I never knew chickens could be so LOUD. :wall:

Perhaps they are getting me back for locking up the cube the past two nights, in an attempt to try quieten them in the morning... which has failed miserably.

Is it just my lot that are so noisy?

I leave my Eglu open after the worstof the winter weather. This does keep them quiet as they can get out to feed etc but we still get a lot of noise as you describe when one of the 4 lays an egg.Also when the exterior lights come on they get up and have a wander around the run until it goes off. Fortunately my neighbours have chooks so no problem. The other time they go mental is if they see a rat in the hedge next to the run. One made a mistake of trying for their food and got tossed up in the air by my girls. Neighbours chooks just ignore them

I think unexpected noise is just part of chicken keeping.

I've only had my girls for two weeks but they're such creatures of habit that they kick up a fuss is we don't do things the way they're used to- yesterday because we didn't let them out till 7 rather than the usual 6.30 they made such a racket! Had a bug fuss after they laid this morning too because I'd been cleaning them out and disrupted their routine! Madams! :lol:

I do worry about the neighbours but their dog barks and their kids are on their squeeky trampoline all hours of the day so I don't feel too bad! I guess everyone has their little irritating habits!I figure I can always placate them with eggs before they get annoyed!

They can be trained - you just have to be consistent with your plan and have a water pistol for unacceptable behaviour and meal worms for good!!!

It took mine about a week and now they are quiet until they are let out, which I do at the same time every day, and they stay that way for a good hour or so which takes me up to about 815am which is not quite so bad for the neighbours!!!

Claire

Something which hasn't been suggested yet, but seems to keep my two fairly quiet whilst confined to barracks is layers mash rather than pelleted food....if you can imagine having to eat all your food by the way of a sherbert dab (so as to speak), you can see how that might keep you rather occupied......

the pecking order has changed in my setup - with the death of Bathsheba - Delilah is head girl and has found her voice - yesterday it was an egg announcement and then goodness knows what set her off - what a racket - I couldnt see a fox - they are used to my cats - might have been a robin or blackbird - ultra scarey. I was fretting big time - sure I will get complaints.

Heavy duty clucking and crowing is the cause of the recurring doubts I have about keeping chickens. I do worry about the neighbours, but moreover my own peace of mind. When I'm around the house the noise is constant, from 6.45 when they wake up to when I'm finally bullied into letting them out of the run - then you've got the consequent problems of poo (and this time of year flies) and destructive scratching all over the garden. The problem of noise is often dismissed on here, but if you like a lie-in in the morning and dislike the idea of being persecuted by birds then think twice