Yorkshire Pudding

Car hire USA

Hi Pud!

i've done it lots and lots. The trick is to book and pay before you go. I've used the comparison sites to find the best of the cheapest deals and then made sure i got the cover i wanted and paid in advance. Then turned down every offer of upgrades and extras at the airport pick up.

I've used Carhire 3000 a fair few times now. I was particularly impressed with the support they offered when i had a car hired from them over the ash cloud travel period. Lots of UK support, ease of extension of hire period, no extra charges and in the US lots of friendly helpful staff too.

You end up with one of the major companies, so it's not a rip off at all. I've had Thrifty and another major one through Carhire 3000.

I've also got car hire at www.airline-network.co.uk (Gold Medal Travel Group Plc, The Trident Centre, Port Way, Ribble Docklands, Preston, Lancashire PR2 2QG) and they were fab too but I think are trading under a different name (may even be Carhire 3000).

have a fab holiday!

Advice? - yes, don't exceed the speed limit!! Very easy to do as the limit is so low and the roads are so wide and empty outside of the cities!

We'd pre-booked a large'ish saloon but were given a free upgrade as we we doing a one way drive from Nebraska, through Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin to Chicago and it took the car back nearer to Indiana where it came from - it was too easy to go too fast and OH was stopped for speeding. He was let off with a warning but had to stick to the limit very carefully - until we were over the state border at least!

Hi

We always book the most basic/adequate car- they usually don't have these when we arrive and they give us a bigger car (you could always upgrade yourself if they did have smallest car.). I suppose it is slightly risky but we've never had a problem. In America, the customer is (still) always right !

H

We booked a car through Netflights last year, who we would never use again! The car hire company in the US was Dollar and they were great, we booked a convertible Mustang to drive from Las Vegas down the west coast but they had run out and wouldnt compensate us or offer another vehicle. :twisted: Netflights are run by Thomas Cook who have mis-sold a few holidays in their time but Dollar were great. Have a lovely time!

Thanks one and all, I have done a fair bit on searching and Car Hire 3000 looks to be the best bet. Confusing though, none of the car models or descriptions are familiar and we dont really know what to book... it needs to take us and two kids and all our luggage comfortably, for some fairly long distances. Is an upgrade really likely if what we reserve ends up being too small?

We also need to book a night in a hotel for the first night after arrival - something Premier Inn style would be fine. Can anyone recommend a chain please?