Hi :)

A while ago I did a thread about corrugated plastic vs felt.

Dad has finally agreed to put a roof on and we've decided to go with the clear plastic option :dance:

I don't suppose anyone has any pictures of the supports? We're not sure about how much support it will need. It needs to cover 4.5m x 2.5m WIR.

If anyone has any general advice it will be much appreciated :D Don't want anything to go wrong and have to do it all again :( (Like the WIR itself!) Thanks.

my littl bit of advice would be to slightly slope the roof so that water runs off because if you don't you'll have puddles form in the grooves and make the whole thing a lot heavier and it may crack and leak.

Thanks Plum, i'll have a read through that :D

That was my main concern; if we have the same amount of snow as we did last year I'd be constantly worrying about the roof collapsing! It looks as if you have overlapped yours by about 6 grooves? Have you had any leakages? Thanks for the help :)

sam, my brother helped me to build a roof a few weeks ago, i had the same concerns as you, no roof = mud so i put up a makeshift roof and when it rained, it got full of puddles and nearly dragged my whole WIR down because of the weight of all the water on the top :-S.

Now my new one, although i thought it hard to design was relatively easy to put up, i will do my best with some photos and post them up, if i forget just give me a nudge!

I think the new one will be strong enough to hold the weight of any snow like last year (it held my brothers 13 stone weight whilst he was screwing on the plastic sheeting) so I am hopeful x

Thanks Ste, that would be great if you could get some photos :D Thats one hell of a strong roof now then! :lol: I think we have some sealant in the cellar so i'll keep an eye for any leaks, but hopefully there would be any. Thanks for all the help :D

My hubby put some of the corruline (from B&Q) on my WIr and its been a disaster :? . Its bowed and leaks in at the sides so when have the money its all coming off and going for a wood and felt roof instead.

Hes normally very good at DIY stuff but this stuff he used has just not worked out :wall::wall:

He thought he had put enough in but alas not which has caused the bowing.

The first time he did the roof and found we had problems with it sagging from water pooling, decided the angle was not high enough so he had to strip it all off and redo it, put extra support in too... but found it still sagged. I think you need a completely flat wooden base to lay it on otherwise it is going to do it. The stuff really is not that strong i dont think.

He did orginially want to just use large wooden sheets and then felt it but I persuaded him to use the corrugated stuff. :doh: . So am the one in the dog house. :think: . Hes refusing to re do it again, and as said when have the spare funds will do it the way he orginally wanted to do it. It cost a fortune for the corruline so is all wasted.

I know others have used the corruline ok, but for us it hasnt worked out. x

He thought he had put enough in but alas not which has caused the bowing.

The first time he did the roof and found we had problems with it sagging from water pooling, decided the angle was not high enough so he had to strip it all off and redo it, put extra support in too... but found it still sagged. I think you need a completely flat wooden base to lay it on otherwise it is going to do it. The stuff really is not that strong i dont think.

He did orginially want to just use large wooden sheets and then felt it but I persuaded him to use the corrugated stuff. :doh: . So am the one in the dog house. :think: . Hes refusing to re do it again, and as said when have the spare funds will do it the way he orginally wanted to do it. It cost a fortune for the corruline so is all wasted.

I know others have used the corruline ok, but for us it hasnt worked out. x

We - or rather DH had to redo our onduline roof and it was because DH hadn't put enough struts in to support it. He also altered the angle of slope slightly and it's fine now. We found that the angle at first was too much which caused it to sag and puddle in the middle. Looked fine the first few times it rained but during a particularly heavy and persistant downpour it was horrendous. MY DH didn't want to redo but he then decided he didn't want to spend any more money on it.

Dizzy Deb - that's such a shame but don't give up on the onduline! We had mini-corrugated PVC but it cracked and leaked in the snow Dec '09 (we ended up with blue tarps covering the roof, a total mess!), decided against wood/felt (heard it can harbour redmite) so went for onduline from B&Q. Not cheap... and were gutted when it too sagged and leaked :shock:

But DH came up with a fabulous idea and sorted it! He made giant ladders for every sheet of onduline, with equally spaced rungs every 18 inches, increasing in height from none at the front to about 4 inches at the back - instant slope :) It works brilliantly, made moving house a doddle (just unscrewed the ladders and the roof was off!) and it was awesome through the last snow :dance: Just needs a bit of tweaking, as we should've used thicker wood for the "front to back" struts as it's just started to sag a bit after a year under the weight but the rungs are fab - no sag side to side! :lol:

A photo says a thousand words - hope this helps :)

CIMG4851.JPG

I forgot to take some photos so i have done a plan in word with drawings of how it has been done, does anyone know how i can copy and paste it as it doesnt paste the diagrams i have drawn.

If I can't do it and anyone wants a copy, PM me your email address and i will email it you.

Thanks Tutti-Frutti, it looks great! Hopefully ours will look something like that! Didn't get round to doing it last weekend though so it will have to be this one!

Ste, could you maybe screen print it, then save it as a photo? Think that would work . Thank you :D I've pm'd you :)

Thanks Ste, that's really good! Must have taken you ages! One thing I don't get though, why have you used plywood? Does it add much support? I was planning on putting some more mesh on at the sides so nothing can get through instead of the plywood if you get what I mean... might have to reconsider though if it's not strong enough :think:

hey sam no worries, my brother is a joiner so he did it for me and i asked the very same question, he said that the plywood gives it support and stops it buckling/bending. That must be why when i did mine without the plywood the whole thing bent in the middle because there was nothing pulling it all together.