LunaKiw1

Red sore patch on chest/over crop

We noticed Pepper has a red sore patch on her chest, just about over her crop yesterday. We brought her in and bathed it - there was no sign of any blood and it looks like a cross between a graze and a bruise. We sprayed it with Purple antiseptic spray. She seems OK in herself although she did pop out a softie in a very papery shell when my OH picked her up yesterday to examine her (quickly eaten up by Ginger!) and this morning there was another softie in the nest. It is very unusual for her to sleep in the nest in fact as Ginger is top chook and always nips in there first on nights when we take pity on her and leave out the football that we put in sometimes to keep the bedding clean. Can anyone offer any suggestion as to what might be causing this mark and what we should do?

Sounds like an injury. Bruises are quite a bright colour:? but don't think the softies will be connected except that if she has been lying in nest box a long time the bedding can irritate exposed skin but its wrong place. Sorry that's not helped has it.

But at least you did take the trouble to reply - so thank you! Yesterday Pepper seemed generally lethargic and out of sorts - she sat in the Eglu for quite a while, which is unusual for her and she has been doing runny poo. The red area is still there over her crop but it definitely isn't an injury in the sense of a cut or tear - just discoloured.

I've mixed up the Flubenvet wormer this morning to see if that might help as they haven't been done for some time and there was another softie in the tray this morning under where she'd been roosting. We've just bought an Omlet WIR and erected it this weekend so I don't feel so guilty about not letting them out to free range as they have more space.

Noticed tonight that she's lost a lot of feathers from her tummy area, below the red patch. Hadn't noticed before but no sign of feathers anywhere.

Someone's probably eating them then so I would give them a supplement in case a deficiency is causing feather eating. Lifeguard is a good one. Being lethargic was probably just a sign of the softies.

If they are broody I've found the feathers in the nestbox.

Don't get too upset about softies, one of mine is 3yrs and does them on and off all the time including big thin eggs as well and picks up soon after laying, though they can get into difficulties. I spent a long time giving calcium and vit D in various forms but you end up dosing all of them and run the risk of messing up the others diet balance and the affected chickens kidneys. Nothings straight forward is it.

Worming is good, I do mine every 3 months. :D