WarrensWorld Posted June 8, 2011 Share Posted June 8, 2011 Vi, our senior hen, was unwell 10 days ago. She went to the vet who prescribed anti-biotics, but said she may give up the ghost. Well we gave her the medication, and gave her lots of hugs and warmth. In three days she was up and about, and eating well. She still seems a little bloated, and this morning I picked her up and she felt a little swollen. She broke wind!..... I put her down with the others they were tucking into some porridge. A lttle later I let the chooks out to free range. I picked Vi up again and she broke wind again.... Question, is it normal for hens to f@rt. Is there a cure?, or should I take her back to the Vets?. It took me by suprise. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted June 8, 2011 Share Posted June 8, 2011 Perhaps you could harness her to a wind turbine . I think I've heard people mention hens f@rting before but I've no idea if it's a problem or not! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
CluckyBucks Posted June 8, 2011 Share Posted June 8, 2011 I have heard mine burp.... but never from the other end It doesnt sound unnatural to me. xx xx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gongladosh Posted June 8, 2011 Share Posted June 8, 2011 we've had similar, well, our hens have... Sometimes hens f*rt. Sometimes they burp too! Keep an eye on her and as long as she's doing henny things, don't worry about it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted June 8, 2011 Share Posted June 8, 2011 Yes, it's not unusual, especially if you pick them up and - in doing so - you squeeze them slightly. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chortle Chook Posted June 8, 2011 Share Posted June 8, 2011 She still seems a little bloated, and this morning I picked her up and she felt a little swollen. She broke wind!..... I put her down with the others they were tucking into some porridge. A lttle later I let the chooks out to free range. I picked Vi up again and she broke wind again....Question, is it normal for hens to f@rt. Is there a cure?, or should I take her back to the Vets? I'm sure it is all just fine hen action, but the way you wrote it, honestly, it just made me laugh and laugh Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
WarrensWorld Posted June 8, 2011 Author Share Posted June 8, 2011 Perhaps you could harness her to a wind turbine . I think I've heard people mention hens f@rting before but I've no idea if it's a problem or not! This very afternoon we've taken delivery of a 1600 Watt, 8 bladed wind turbine...... A touch of synchronicity going on here. That or you were watching the DHL man. I dont think Vi, would like being perched 4 metres off the ground. Well not with a 5ft rotor chewing at her tail feathers. We'll keep a eye on her. Thanks for the replys. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
stoice Posted June 8, 2011 Share Posted June 8, 2011 Yes, it's not unusual, especially if you pick them up and - in doing so - you squeeze them slightly. LOL, this so reminds me of the penguin in Madagascar Christmas Capers zip along to 4mins in it so makes me chuckle! (No iffy comments at time of posting) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
beach chick Posted June 8, 2011 Share Posted June 8, 2011 Yes, it's not unusual, especially if you pick them up and - in doing so - you squeeze them slightly. why am I thinking about bagpipes now?! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
daxigirl Posted June 8, 2011 Share Posted June 8, 2011 I've picked Moomin up when removing her from the kitchen and she's done what can only be described as a wet fart. . (She's the one with skiddies down her fluff, and seems to enjoy a bum wash!) So she definitely trumps. I took her to the vets Monday and he said to get some Beryl's (good bacteria stuff I think) so everyone's had a dose for breakfast. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...