Cranfield Kate

Very dirty knickers

Scrumpy (re-named for long and dull reasons) has really dirty knickers because she doesn't roost at night but likes to sit in the nesting box. so do the others but on her it's all clogged and grim.

I've bathed her once and she wasn't keen and to be honest, it was better but not spotless by the end.

she's been wormed and hasn't got lice or anything. she was ill recently and i think basically she started having runny poo and now she's so matted it doesn't have room to squirt it away.

should i cut the poo off to give her a chance to give the poo some distance and just have a bare bum for a while?

please help!

Edited by Guest

I would trim her behind (blunt ended scissors if you have them, just in case she wriggles). possibly then wash again if necessary so she is clean to start off with. then I would add some bokashi bran and natural yoghurt to their diet and see what happens.

I have had a few (now departed) which have been consistently mucky with no real reason; none at the moment though. in this hot weather it is important to keep them clean because of fly strike.

Hi

You must trim her.

I lost some hens to fly strike once because of this issue. Its very difficult to see because you don't spend all day looking at chicken's bums but if you notice it, sort it.

If you don't, she'll have live maggots on her and die.

Hi there

Our vet told us to spray the feathers with warm water to clean her up which does work but if its an ongoing problem then trim the feathers away and get yourself some F10 gel (not from vets as its dear) but on an online vet drugs website. It helps stop flystrike on pooey bottoms and wounds. Costs £5-£6. I keep some in my first aid kit. You could also try Beryl's Friendly Bacteria that sorts out any gut problems and keep the hen contained and on a plain diet without greens. I may be something she has eaten. She may also need worming. This can cause a dirty bottom. Putting a football in the nest box at night will force her to perch instead which is better for her.

good luck and hope the advise helps

Madchick

Moomin's got a dirty bot again too and is having a fluff wash and blow dry this afternoon.

She's just tried some Beryls and had some penecillin from the vet over a couple of weeks now and her poop is much firmer and she's put on some weight, still only on her one egg a week but hopefully that will improve and her tummy has stopped making gurgling noises when I pick her up, so finger's crossed all is well.

Don't want to worry you unduly but it might be worth a trip to the vets just in case there is something else going on. Persistent runny poo can be a sign of other things eg kidney failure. Hopefully it's nothing, though. Best wishes, Alli xx

I agree, I would be concerned that something is causing this runny poo :anxious: Lots of chickens sleep in the nest box but don't get themselves in a mess.