WitchHazel

Goodbye Roo

Our gorgeous Roo died today.

He was a Sasso, hatched by us from Ebay eggs. Originally he and his two fellow female hatchlings were intended for dinner, but the three of them were such friendly birds we decided we'd like to breed from them. He was such a busy boy that we expanded his harem a year ago to include two Welsh Blacks, and the resulting crosses have been fantastic. All have been good natured and pretty. 2 of his daughters from last year joined my Garden Girls.

I'm so very upset that he's gone. He was such a fantastically gentle boy and he'll leave a big gap. I'm happy that I saw him and hand fed him yesterday afternoon, and that his death was a quick one. I'm happy that he was part of our lives, and that in return we were able to give him a good free range life.

I'm going to take the saddles off the Harem this afternoon. It's the one and only positive thing I can find about his loss.

We had another great hatch this year, 20 babies with a good number of cockerels, so we will keep one of his sons and introduce him to the breeding flock much later this year.

My gorgeous darling boy.

c7185166.jpg

9ca3f098.jpg

5902e1e6.jpg

So sorry to hear about Roo, it's always upsetting and so sad when they have to leave us, but I hope you can take comfort in the knowledge that he obviously had a great life with you and his girls.

He was certainly a beautiful boy.