bouldercroft

hot hot hot!

The heatwave has hit Boston - we're expecting 110f (43c) with the heat index tomorrow.... :shock:

It'll be a little cooler today at 104f (40c) heat index.

Poor girls...I've shaded the run, they have lots of ice water, there are cool blocks in the eglus, they have ice cold cucumbers to nibble on, I've filled a big trug with dirt for them to bathe in....

anything else I can do?? should I consider moving them into the basement? can't imagine they'd be happy cooped up in the basement either?

I'm home tomorrow for the very hot one so I'll let them out early so they can chill under their favorite rhododendron

I must admit that I don't coddle mine too much. They are Florida chickens and we have too many of these days so they have to adapt to it. I have the Eglu in the shadiest part of the yard. I put a mat over the uncovered part of the run to give them a bit extra shade when the sun does come through. I also put an additional water pan out. They like to walk through it during the hottest part of the day to cool off their feet. I let them out to free range in the late afternoon/early evening, but sometimes even then it's still really hot. It was incredibly hot a couple of weeks ago and they chose to sleep in the run rather than the Eglu. It's actually a few degrees cooler here now since it rained all last weekend. I hope it lasts a while!

bless 'em they've done very well

record breaking temperatures in Boston!

everyone is okay and they've laid me !egg!!egg!!egg!!egg!!egg!!egg!!egg! in 2 days!

got a bit worried that lovely Rita had gone broody but no....she's so smart...she was sitting on a cool block that I put in the eglus to keep them below 100f!