We have an Omlet WIR and there's a hook in the centre of the roof. I have hung a wire flower basket (green plastic kind with hanging chains) from it and placed a cloth soaked in citronella in it. It's wafting gently in the breeze (and when we knock it every time we walk into the rWIR!) so hopefully might give off some off-putting scent.

you mentioned that you have one of the Omlet walk-in runs so I hope you don't mind me asking you some questions about it as I am contemplating getting one...

1. How long did it take to assemble and how many people do you need to help?

2. Have you got it fixed to the ground or on concrete slabs?

3. Did you join it to an existing eglu run or is it stand alone with a coop situated inside

4. How many chickens do you keep in it and do they also free-range?

Hi, I'm pleased to help with your questions!

1. How long did it take to assemble and how many people do you need to help?

It took all of one Saturday afternoon plus a bit of the next morning. That was just my OH, with me holding the instructions, supervising and sometimes holding one side whilst he attached another bit! The instructions aren't great as all in pictures - we felt a few written tips would have helped but basically it was all pretty logical. His fingers got sore from attaching some many little clips but someone suggested if you use a 2p coin to open them it helps.

2. Have you got it fixed to the ground or on concrete slabs?

We've got it just on hard ground that is basically gravel covered. It was an advantage that the Omlet WIR, unlike a wooden one, is quite forgiving of slight undulations in the ground as we have tree roots etc in the vicinity but it was easy to get it pretty level. We have, as added safety measure, used some tent pegs to ensure the fox-proof edging is anchored down but the WIR is quite heavy (and stable) so I don't think anything could actually lift up the sides. We've then put wood chip down on the inside although not to any depth as they like to dig in the earth. You could put concrete slabs round the edges or inside but we prefer the beaten earth/wood chip.

3. Did you join it to an existing eglu run or is it stand alone with a coop situated inside?

We joined it to an Eglu Classic with the basic 2m run. You choose that model when you order it and basically just take off the run end and there's a curved bit provided in the KIT that you then link the two with. So a good, safe fit.

4. How many chickens do you keep in it and do they also free-range?

When we bought it we had just 2 chooks. Sadly last week we had to have them both PTS but we have just bought 3 new hens (one is a Goldline like you have; another is a Bluebelle and the third is a Speckled Grey). I work from home a lot so mostly we can let them out in the garden to free-range. We got the WIR just to provide more space. Our two 'old' girls seemed MUCH happier with the extra space and generally more chilled out. The 3 new ones seem equally happy and there's plenty of space. I'd feel happy keeping another one hen in there at least, maybe two, as with the WIR and the 2m run that's 6 sqm. I think it will be good for any future intros too as it will be easy to attach the old run end back inside to divide off the WIR to make separate temporary spaces. We have a transparent tarpaflex cover that is 2m wide so perfect for the WIR's width dimension, and 6m long so it extends down each side. All held on with bungies and the two sides can be rolled up as required. We have another tarpaulin over the old run too.

We really like the Omlet WIR- it's (relatively) u"Ooops, word censored!"trusive because it's green mesh, it gives good space for a small flock, joins up with the exisitng Eglu etc well and if necessary it could be easily dismantled. And it is a JOY to be able to stand inside with the girls and also much easier to clean out! We took some photos of the new girls over the weekend in the run so if I can get OH to help I'll post a photo of our set up for you!

DSCF0107.jpg

Edited by Guest