Scooby

Idea for hen enclosure

At the moment got the eglu cube inside a wooden/chicken wired enclosure. However after ongoing problems (ie I moved house a year ago and didn't realise there was a covenant about poultry keeping and the neighbours are a pain in the ass to put it politely and are saying my girls are too noisy)I am wondering whether the solution may be to buy a shed the same size as the enclosure with plenty of windows, put the eglu inside with door always open and then fix the grubs and glugs to the shed walls, therefore muting some of the 'noise'. They hate to be shut inside on a night and the neighbours say that the early morning noise is worse when I lock them in (found this out when I was looking for a solution). Maybe this is the answer? They can come out of the eglu when they see it getting light and get to their food and water. Would also build a small outside area onto the side of the shed that can be opened up later on in the day to give them some fresh air.

Does anyone think this would work? I guess it'd be more like they are barn hens but they'd still have lots of room.

Would welcome any thoughts/suggestions. To be fair I wouldn't normally go to so much trouble but since my neighbours have the power to make me get rid of my girls because of the covenant I'm trying to find a solution that will keep everyone, including my girls, happy.

Thanks xx

Poultry always used to be kept in sheds so there is nothing wrong with it - they won't mind. You will just have to be extra careful about red mite. Someone else can give you better advice on how to prevent it but I think it seems a good solution - one of my runs is fixed to a shed with a pophole into the eglu inside so that my cockerel doesn't wake everyone up at the crack of dawn :D I just let the pophole down each evening when he and his wives have gone to bed.