CatsCube

Peritonitis recovery

Im a bit baffled at my white star. For nearly 3 months she had stopped laying and it seemed a text book case of peritonitis. He bum feathers are a mess, and you could actually see what looked like egg whites leaking from her, she would sit on the nest for hours on end, (at first I thought she had gone broody). Shortly before she stopped she had a habbit of laying rather blood stained eggs.

Well last week I had planned to dispatch her as a lost cause (sorry if this offends anyone, but my hybrids are not our pets, they are utility birds to us)

Anyway I didn't get around to it in the end, and it seems just as well, the last 4 days she has started laying again (amazingly while she is also going through a moult), and has done everyday since. Now I didn't think they could recover from this? Anyone got any experience of this? Is she likely to continue to have problems?

I think our chicken has peritonitis of some kind. She's been 'waddling' today and her stomach feels kind of fluidy. She's 4 and stopped laying ages ago, although recently she has been laying small squishy egg type things.

How did you help yours? We will hopefully get her to the vet tomorrow (however knowledgable they may be), I've heard antibiotics may do the job.

So basically, is there anything else we can do? Thankyou

Hi - I didn't want to leave this unanswered but I am not particularly knowledgable about this topic. I hope others more expert will be along.

My vet doesn't seem to make a distinction between sterile and septic. According to them the sterile can easily become septic and both should be treated with abs and metacam. Some vets also drain but this is not without risk.

So, according to them, she would need to see a vet regardless.

Phoned the vets today...despite previously giving her a check-up, they tell us they don't do chickens. So, there is a vet that does across town, however the first vet would have to refer us there and overall, without even medication the check-ups would cost £113 just for a consultation. This isn't very practical, as she is getting older and obviously chickens with EYP can go either way really...So a bit stuck :/ Are there anyplaces reliable on the internet to order Baytril and Metacam (after research, this seems to be what people recommend) without prescription?

Any other advice always appreciated too x

if she's not acting poorly, is eating and drinking and just a bit slow then I'd leave it myself - i did with my 'sterile peritonitis' chook. Personally I just couldn't pay £113 for treatment for an old chook who isn't really really poorly.

As the days get shorter she should start to reabsorb the internally laid eggs and her bulging tummy should reduce. At least that's what my chook did for several years.

good luck!

I thought that this might be what was wrong with my Speckledy who is only 27 weeks old. She is eating and drinking but sitting down a lot and looks as if her legs are weak, also she is holding her tail down when standing only raising it when walking. I have given her a check over and she feels normal, so I am at a loss. :? She has got dirty vent feathers though.