Gloss-Hen

how to keep quail

Hi - I have some Quail and they are easy to keep.

i am looking into keeping quail and have no experience so im asking the following questions.

Are quails friendly?

This depends on how much time you invest in them. Mine are quite skittish. :roll:

What do they eat?

They eat normal chicken layers pellets - the size doesn't seem to phase them. :)

Where to house them in?

I have mine in a rabbit hutch. I have 5 in a 4ft by 2ft hutch and they seem happy. I keep the hutch in my WIR so it is a bit more sheltered.

I think there was an article about them in Practical Poultry August edition? :think:

What type are you thinking of getting? Chinese Painted Quail are very small and should really be inside in cold weather. Japanese/Italian Quail are hardier. :)

Before I got mine I got hold of Katie Thear's book about them.

I have some Japanese Quail and some Chinese painted ones. The Japanese ones would be easier to tame - as long as mine don't go mental when I am near them that is enough for me - I get my cuddles from my bigger girls!

I'm sure with a little time and the odd treat they would be happy to sit with you. I've not had mine long and they have got used to me now. The sounds they make are wonderful.

When I got mine one got a badly injured eye on the journey home but they are incredibly tough creatures and recover quickly with a little help. I'm able to catch mine to check them out but I've never tried to get them to do more than that.

I had a large broken plant pot which I have put in their house as it makes a great dark 'cave' where they can lay their eggs.

I wouldn't keep quail in any hutch myself. I was advised to do this originally and I felt that they were unhappy and not in a natural environment. However, I know lots of people keep them this way and they do well. I keep mine in runs and they lay throughout the winter so they must be content.

Hi I have one boy (whom makes a whi-whoo every now and then) and 6 girlies. Tommy the boy as I've called him keeps his girls very happy and he is also VERY contented. At the moment, they are in my (ex) raised veggie plot which has a wall surround of 2 ft all the way around, a broodie box which I got my chooks (but they weren't interested in that) is used as a night room even though they don't use it for that purpose but do like to lay their eggs in there and a metal cage which is placed over the top with an ex piece of pond liner for rainy days. In total the space is about 6ft x 6ft. If the weather get's bad like last winter I have bought a rabbit hutch to go in the summerhouse but hopefully on warm days I can let them out in their main run. I'm afraid I don't fancy the idea of going up the garden path and finding 7 frozen balls of feathers.

I got a boy just in case I did want to breed as my little Wyandotte Ivy has been broody 90% of the summer, so she will come in useful hopefully next year, also I like the fact that when the eggs have been fertilised by Tommy they become low in cholestral so 2 pluses to have a boy. I find my little bunch get very excited when they see me coming upto the pen with mealworms and lettuce, they also don't mind being stroked, not too fussed on being held for too long though. As far as eggs go, I have been getting one off each little lady daily, 6 a day but it is now down to 4 due to lack of daylight. Hope the above info will help with your decision. I've only had my quail since July and I won't go back to not having any again, they are lovely little creatures. :dance:

I don't know whereabouts you are in the Uk, but I got my quail from cracking eggs in North Wales. The guy may be able to send you some eggs via the post. Tel 01352 762162. If you have an airing cupboard maybe you could try incubation that way. I don't know the success rates but it could be worth a try (I've never done it myself) or if you know of someone who has a broody hen perhaps they may help out.

I bought mine when they were 5 weeks old. 6 weeks of age is when they are fully grown and will be not far off from laying their first eggs. Unfortunately the life span is only about 2 years which is why I have a little boy in order to replenish my stock next year.