Sue_F

Winter Proofing

I insulate my coupes, ( all wooden) with cardboard. This keeps the birds really cosy at night. It means daily cleaning though. Also make sure your coupes are full as the body heat helps. Build your birds up with extra wheat as this helps too. I didn't loose 1 last winter. Keep food and drink close to the coupes in extreme cold.

To stop the drinkers freezing, I stand them on a straw base, off the ground. I find washing up bowls good for winter.

Good luck. Winter is tough on us poultry lovers!

Lyn

Thanks deford lyn,

I have a wooden coup and was wondering how to insulate it.The cardboard sounds a great idea.Believe me we all have too much of that.

Also the washing up bowl for water..I assume thats because the more water there is the longer it takes to freeze .

I was thinking the same. Just got a cube which should be be fine. I ordered the heavy duty cover for part of the run which should give them some cover the extra metre (it is a three metre run) is out in the open, will this be OK??

Richard

We have a cube and live in a semi-rural exposed area. We have always used economy tarps from Tarpaflex along with a large glass clear tarp. This has been fine over the past 2 winters, despite heavy snow. If you use the tarps like a tent flysheet so there is plenty of ventilation it will keep the snow out.We recently changed our 2 run extensions for a WIR and have reused the clear tarp on the roof and the green tarps on the sides that are exposed to the worst weather

There is no need for extra insulation (in the southern half of the country anyway) of either the cube or eglu as they are double skinned to provide warmth in winter and cool in the summer. The key is not to inpede the ventilation.

Another suggestion is to use clear corrugated plastic panels. We did this on our eglu

Remember, chickens are outdoor creatures and will not benefit from too much pamppering, just a bit of protection from damp/wet. They comew with their own duvets! 8):lol: