Gertie

My cats in a car crash - all ok!

I sold my house recently, and after moving all my things onto storage whilst we wait for our purchase to happen, yesterday I took my cats in their carriers, lined up in the boot of the car, to stay with my parents. 

Unfortunately whilst travelling on the motorway, someone drove into the back of my car at high speed. As you can imagine this was not a pleasant experience for me or the cats.

We are all totally fine (& the girl who hit me), although both cars are a write off. It's amazing how lucky you can be. My partner who was travelling down in his car 10 minutes behind me, saw what happened, stopped & rescued the cats & took them straight to the vets for a check over. They are now happy on feliway & playing in the kitchen with their toys.

The surprise 60th birthday cake I was carrying for my mums party yesterday also survived the crash. There was an amusing moment when my partner thought the brown stuff all over the cat carriers was something unpleasant when it was actually buttercream icing. 

I must commend the highway police for being so kind & helpful.

P

Edited by Guest

They are exploring now. I kept them in the kitchen last night but now they are out and about, climbing all over everything & looking fine. I just wonder if I'll ever get them in a cat carrier again after that awful trauma. It was so horrible looking back into the car & seeing the boxes up on the air & not knowing if they were ok for hours after whilst my partner drove them to a vet.

Poor cats and poor you. The car's written off and will be a huge inconvenience but can be replaced. You and the cats are a different story.

Glad to hear the cats are okay. And the cake for that matter!

But have you been checked over too? Especially if you were hit at high speed.

What on earth was she doing to manage to do that??

Absolutely, the important things are all ok. I'm just starting to feel a bit achey, exhausted & sick now. I'm going to get checked out tomorrow.

The motorway was busy, the person in front of me braked, I braked, she didn't & hit me at 60mph. She was obviously too close & not paying attention! It's a miracle really that it wasn't worse in the fast lane of the M4!

Thank goodness you are all ok, could have been so much worse, hope you get checked out ok as well.

Just a thought on this subject, I know someone who had an accident and the boot door came open and her poor dog was killed on the motorway. I use a custom built crate in my car that has an escape door at the back to get them out in the event of an accident and it is very sturdy. My poor friend was distraught as had the dog been restrained in some way the he would have survived.

Oh my goodness Mollyripkim, how absolutely horrendous for your friend, a lesson for us all there. My little dog has his own car seat in the back of the car but you do see so many dogs 'loose' in a car.............and amazingly i still see children not strapped in too! :roll:

So glad the party went well Gertie and you were all fit and well enough to enjoy it :D

Oh, what a sad story. Poor friend & poor dog. It's a good idea to have a crate for any pet I guess. I had a friend who was cycling & had one of those dog carriers you pull along behind the bike. He somehow managed to escape but thankfully he was ok.

It's something that never even occurred to me, an accident. They were packed in with other items around but room for movement. My boot is jammed shut so I had to take them out through the front passenger door. One of the carriers was smashed at the front but it was flimsier than the other 2.

Just been playing with them & they seem as agile as usual!

After a few glasses of wine...

Really glad that you and they are all well, it must have been so scary for you all.

My friend never really got over losing her dog that way but sadly it's only an accident that highlights a risk. This was some years ago and I don't remember crates in use then, usually just a dog guard. My crate was expensive as it's made to fit the car but has a stable door so makes life really easy putting leads on three dogs anxious for their walk!

I'm hoping to get a dog in the future so I will invest in a crate for sure.

I feel so sorry for your friend, did she ever got another dog? I'm sure it must be hard not to blame yourself as I know I would be if my cats weren't alright, even though someone drove into me. Happily, I'm in a luckier position than your friend!