foster75

hen started to crow!!!!!!!!

They sometimes do that when they are feeling dominant. One of mine went broody a couple of weeks ago and her being in extra girly mode somehow made the other one feel macho and she started crowing a bit in the morning for a few days. I haven't heard her for the past few mornings so I hope she's over it!

It does happen occasionally sadly :( sometimes if it becomes a problem, the offending hen can be rehomed (either temporarily or permanently) which will stop the crowing if it is a dominance issue, as she will lose her pecking order place.

Hens can also grow spurs... I have 2 hens now who have grown lovely sets of spurs... they are both still laying... but I am awaiting for the laying to stop and crowing to start :anxious:

When our hen started to crow in the morning, we shut the eglue door to block sunlight getting in so she wouldn't wake as early so as not to wake the neighbours at such an ungodly hour (it was 5am when she started). Doesn't solve the problem, but certainly made it less of a worry/nuisance. It seemed to be a phase as she eventually grew out of it :)